SS Braid in Keg Mash Tun

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

neumann

Reaction score
Is there any reason that you can't use a SS braid in a converted keg mash tun? Assuming you batch sparge and don't have to worry about channeling, just like in a cooler, that is.

Is there any reason that you can't use a SS braid in a converted keg mash tun? Assuming you batch sparge and don't have to worry about channeling, just like in a cooler, that is.

A heck of a lot of home brewers do exactly that - and I presume they're all smart enough not to try continuous sparging. Depending on the braid and the weight of your mashes you might want to insert a stainless steel spring or some other "skeleton" inside the braid to keep it from squishing...

Cheers!

the only issue you need to account for is that the bulkhead in a keg is going to be a bit off the bottom. you need to make some sort of dip tube to get a siphon to limit dead space. other than that it works :)

i eventually switched to a false bottom because i was constantly tweaking the braid with the mash paddle, but it did work.

Latest posts

Back