Gueze

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

devonhomebrew

Reaction score
Gueze
Straight (Unblended) Lambic

Recipe Specs
----------------
Batch Size (L): 13.5
Total Grain (kg): 2.250
Total Hops (g): 20.00
Original Gravity (OG): 1.040 (°P): 10.0
Final Gravity (FG): 1.010 (°P): 2.6
Alcohol by Volume (ABV): 3.93 %
Colour (SRM): 3.7 (EBC): 7.3
Bitterness (IBU): 4.1 (Average)
Brewhouse Efficiency (%): 75
Boil Time (Minutes): 60

Grain Bill
----------------
1.500 kg Wheat Malt (66.67%)
0.750 kg Maris Otter Malt (33.33%)

Hop Bill
----------------
20.0 g Fuggles Leaf (1% Alpha) @ 60 Minutes (Boil) (1.5 g/L) (Oven Aged)

Single step Infusion at 66°C for 60 Minutes.

Yeast/Bug Bill

1 DJ Fermented at 20°C with WLP655 - Belgian Sour Mix 1
1 DJ Fermented at 20°C with WLP650 - Brettanomyces bruxellensis
1 DJ Fermented at 20°C with a sponateous fermentation

Recipe Generated with BrewMate

I am planning on making 3 1 gallon demi johns full of gueze but fermented with different yeast/bugs obviously the second will be an all brett beer but the first and third will be a combo do you lot think that this will work as a concept i only really want to see the fermentation and how different they are and the pellicles aswell as ive made a spontaneous before and it has a lovely thick pellicle. Also what bugs are in the WLP655????

I like your plan. White Labs website says WLP655 includes Brettanomyces, Saccharomyces, and the bacterial strains Lactobacillus and Pediococcus. And just FYI, a gueuze is a blend of lambics of varying ages, so this is just a lambic. but still sounds good.

I figured that out after i posted it but was also thinking blending the brett and England Microflora one anyway like maybe half and half blend then bottle the rest straight and the WLP655 straight aswell.

by combining the weird yeasts one might rule out more than the others in the blend. Most of those bugs don't reproduce as quickly as some of the others, so you might have a very lacto or saccro beer.

I figured that out after i posted it but was also thinking blending the brett and England Microflora one anyway like maybe half and half blend then bottle the rest straight and the WLP655 straight aswell.

You should probably blend to taste at the end rather than saying from the beginning that you are going to do half this and half that.

Latest posts

Back