May have vacuum packed a couple aphids...any issue?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TheFlyingSparge

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I vacuum sealed 1.5lbs (dried) of my harvest today. Anyway, I noticed a few aphids crawling on my drying racks right as I was finishing up. Given that, it's highly likely a few aphids probably made it into my vac-bags. Will a few aphids in my boil affect the final beer? I'd hate to ditch the harvest. :cross:

Well, first I'd say they breathed their last.... :rolleyes:
Then I'll say I always remember which components I put in my brew that are sterilized by the boil.... :rockin:
Then, last, I guess how many aphids I put in the boil might be the other variable :confused:
Some tiny fraction of a percent seems unlikely to me to make any real difference :mug:
But you might not want to announce it to your guests! ;)
All that to say I really doubt it makes any difference at all
2 years ago my Cascade had a lot of aphids
They all seemed to crawl away during the drying process
I haven't noticed anything bad of it yet, and most of those hops are boiled and gone now.... :mug:

I'm sure there are a couple of hitch hikers in commercial hops as well. They are packaging a lot more a lot faster then us who grow our own hops. So, I would think there would be bugs in bought hops as well.
I wet hop so I may have had some help in the kettle. But the boil cleaned them.

I wouldn't worry about it.

Cheers.

Think about it this way. The mass of the aphids in your hops is probably still less than the weevils in your grain. :D

Back