BJCP Category?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I know of a few commercial Red IPAs (Sockeye, Elysian, & Sam Adams), but I'm not sure what BJCP they'd technically fit into. Those are both categorized as American IPA on Beer Advocate. Not sure if that means anything tho.

23 Specialty Beer

Take a look at some of the commercial examples for that category, you'll see Bear Republic Red Rocket as one of the examples listed...pretty close to what you have in mind, I think.

Based on stats alone, it just looks like the darker end of American IPA to me. Consequently that's what I'd go with. Can you taste the roasted barley at all? At just one ounce, seems like just a color adjustment, but I've been able to pick up 2 or 3 ounces of various roasted malts as a background roast note before. And I wouldn't expect that in an IPA.

Recipe has been altered, didn't have some of the grains I thought I did. Guess it'll just be an IPA. But yes, roasted barley is just for color. Any thoughts on the hop schedule? Hear Nelson can be overpowering. Pacific Jade at 20 is actually my first wort addition.

weirdboy said:
Hops seem OK to me. Nelson gives off a really "dank" aroma in my experience. Not necessarily a bad thing IMO...I really like it.

Cool, into the dank right now. Kinda why I'm going with a more red/caramel malt vibe.

I like the hop schedule. And if you're just going for color without flavor, I'd probably scrap the roasted barley, and instead go with one of the dehusked Carafa malts.

Latest posts

Back