Pitching champagne yeast for barleywine carbonation?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

VintageNumber4

Reaction score
Just the other day I brewed a pretty massive barleywine. In my experience, both commercial brews and homebrews of the style have a tendency to come out under-carbonated. I read in a book on the topic "pitching champagne yeast, which is more alcohol tolerant than ale yeast, a few days prior to bottling can aid carbonation for those who fear flat beer."

Has anyone ever tried this? If so I'd appreciate any words on how much yeast to pitch, when, and what other variables I need to consider.

It sounds like a practical idea, but I'm afraid of the yeast drying out the brew or producing off flavors that are undesirable for the style.

Thanks for the help.

I dont think that it will produce off flavors, but wine yeasts do make a dryer drink. Id be affraid of it casuing too much carbonation as the yeast consumes sugars that ale yeasts left alone.

I did bottle a barleywine last year, where i added some dry ale yeast to each bottle, to ensure healthy yeat for carbing and it worked fantastic.

The reason i did that was ecause the beer sat in secondary for 8 months and i wanted to ensure there was a viable yeast culture in the bottle.

Latest posts

Back