Protein Rest ?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mutilated1

Beer Drenched Executioner
Reaction score
What is "protein rest" and how do you know if you need to do one or not ? And if you do need to do one, then could someone please explain what exactly it is that you do ?

It's a temperature range from which certain enzymes with break down some the protein in the mash into smaller pieces that make albumins(stuff that actually give beer it's body). It also get rid of chill haze that accures in most under modified malts. I did my first one on my last batch and it turned out great. I'm doing one from now on.

From HowToBrew.com

The typical Protein Rest at 120 - 130°F is used to break up proteins which might otherwise cause chill haze and can improve the head retention. This rest should only be used when using moderately-modified malts, or when using fully modified malts with a large proportion (>25%) of unmalted grain, e.g. flaked barley, wheat, rye, or oatmeal. Using this rest in a mash consisting mainly of fully modified malts would break up the proteins responsible for body and head retention and result in a thin, watery beer. The standard time for a protein rest is 20 - 30 minutes.

You use a protein rest for Flaked wheat, Flaked barley and other unmalted grains.

I don't employ the rest because the main benefit is a clearer beer which is not important when doing wheats or most beers that use flaked barley (stouts).

How to do: Basically you dough in at a lower temperature to reach a mash temp of 120-130 degrees. You hold at that temp for about 30 minutes and then either crank the heat or add boiling water to get the mash up to your normal mash temp (154-ish).

BierMuncher said:
How to do: Basically you dough in at a lower temperature to reach a mash temp of 120-130 degrees. You hold at that temp for about 30 minutes and then either crank the heat or add boiling water to get the mash up to your normal mash temp (154-ish).

Or you decoct after that to get to your saccharification rest.

TL

Latest posts

Back