Big Beers

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You end up with less water to sparge with so generally it is harder to get good efficiency in big beers. I normally get 75-80 but big beers I set at 60% (so far)

crap in crap out? could you be more specific please ma'am.

lol :mug: I only got about 55% on a barley wine I brewed today, just wondering if it's normal as I had been running a bit higher. I'm also doing a brew in a bag though and I don't have much experience with it so..

edit: conpewter - I was approaching 60% so I'm going to assume I'm within range?

Right brew in a bag will also loose a bit of efficiency if used in it's purest form (no sparging). 55% is not great but reasonable for a barleywine BIAB. If you used enough water to get better efficiency you'd end up needing to boil for hours and hours, it is better IMHO to add more grain to make up for the efficiency then to waste the time/money boiling longer, depending on how you boil.

Right brew in a bag will also loose a bit of efficiency if used in it's purest form (no sparging). 55% is not great but reasonable for a barleywine BIAB. If you used enough water to get better efficiency you'd end up needing to boil for hours and hours, it is better IMHO to add more grain to make up for the efficiency then to waste the time/money boiling longer, depending on how you boil.
I didn't use it quite in it's pure form, I sparged but not with much water and the crush on the grains wasn't the best either so I'd say I'm right where I should be.. once I get the technique down my efficiency will probably move up. :mug:

Latest posts

Back