question on transfer to tertiary

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

garym

Reaction score
i just transfered 5 gal of beer in my secondary over raspberries.
my question is, when i transfer to the tertiary, should i use some sort of filter over the end of the racking cane, to keep as much pulp, seeds out as possible, to get the maximum amount of liquid ?
and if so,, what do you all recomend to use? ive read either sanitized stainless steel wool, and also cheese cloth.

you could if you wanted to. a grain bag works (the reusable nylon mesh kind), or a paint strainer bag, which is a lot like a grain bag but cheaper.

If you put the bag over the end of the racking cane, its going to get clogged. This is because you are presenting a very small patch of filter material to the wort passing into the cane.

Put the bag over the outlet end of the hose, secure it tightly with a couple of nylon zip-ties (and sanitize the whole thing). This will present a much larger area of the bag to filter the fluid moving through it, and it will be less likely to get clogged. Just be careful that it doesn't slip off the hose when you pull it out.

Back