Stout and Red, please give me your thoughts

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Evan

Reaction score
its been three weeks since i've been able to brew! its killing me. so let me run these recipe idea's by ya.

first up...Stout
6gal batch size

7.5 lbs Maris Otter
1.20 lbs flaked Barley
1.20 lbs Carapils
0.90 lbs Roasted Barley
0.60 lbs Chocolate Malt

0.90 oz Centennial 9.6% for 60 min
1.20 oz EKG for 20 min

Mash at 154 for 60 min, use Wyeast #1098

second...Irish Red
6 gal batch

11.5 lbs Vienna
1 lbs Carapils
1 lbs Crystal 20L
0.25 lbs Roasted Barley

0.5 oz Galena for 60 min
1 oz EKG for 10 min

Mash at 152 for 60 min, use Wyeast #1084

i might only do one tomorrow, i dont have 1084 (look for it tonight or tomorrow morning) its the only thing i'm missing. dont really have any other yeast that'd fit. the mash lenght/temps i'm unsure of some. these will be my 5th and 6th AG batches. i'm not overly worried about it fitting the style...i have Vienna in the Irish Red becuase i thought the color might go well, and i've used it before and liked the results. i've made a ton of IPA/APA since switching to all grain, so these recipes are me trying to not get burnt out on hops, haha.

If that's the case, save the EKG for something more appropriate! :) Seriously, I'd not use flavor/aroma hops at all in a stout. Get a nice bittering charge with high-alpha hops and don't add any more, that's the ticket. One more piece of deep thinking: omit the CaraPils. With the flaked barley, the stout will have plenty of body, mouthfeel and foam retention. Save the CaraPils for a lighter beer.

I like the grist and hops schedule for your Red! You're after a malty beer, you're onto one. I don't really like the yeast, though; 1084 never seems to clear well. For stout that's no big deal, but you'd probably like to have your Red clear someday. Further, it always seems to underattenuate; I prefer 1028, 1275 or even 1056, for a drier, cleaner finish with restrained esters. Let the malt shine on this one!

Cheers,

Bob

on the Stout, sounds good to drop the EKG...i'll up my bittering

i went ahead and got 1084...i'll use it since i have it...but i'll make a note of it in beersmith to try some of the yeast you have used.

thanks again for the thoughts on the styles! i can brew something hoppy, but while i enjoy malty, i'm a little more in the dark.

If possible on the Irish Red, drop the centennial. A good IRA should be smooth and malty and hops used to bitter only. Any hint of citrus and it will not pass the "test" for a good Irish Red.

I would use WLP028 Edinburgh Ale for the Irish Red, good attenuation and maltiness...but then again, I'm kinda obsessed with that strain.

I'm wondering...as long as you're all about using the liquid yeast, why not use the WLP004?
I'm just sucking down a pint of my Irish Red.
It's got 1/4 oz of Glacier at 5 min, and 1/4 oz at flame out, but it's still all about the malt,

Back