The Olympian - redneck style!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Duffer

Reaction score
Well, here's my two-tier. Incomplete and in use! 'Olympian' cuz it looks like the podium for Olympic medal winners to be photographed.

Single pump. Propane Boil & HLT. Electric RIMS Mash. PID control to be installed.

My nephews kinda rushed us into brewing their Oatmeal Stout recipe called 'Bubonic Stout'. (I'll get into that some other time) So it was rush some wiring, rush some paint, rush some switches, rush some propane plumbing..... and go for it!

Then it was, "oh crap! we need more heat shielding here. and here. and here." and, "Dang those QDs get hot with boiling water thru them!" and, "Dang. another leak." and , "Guess I should not have primered UNDER the hi-temp paint!" (as it all peals/burns off)

The brew turned out mighty fine and no one got electrocuted! (so far) Will carbonate in a couple weeks. :mug:

olympian bubonic.jpg

oxygenate bubonic wort.jpg

Lookin good, you do nice work. looking forward to seeing it all done and painted. Love the uncovered switches.:rockin:
I really dig the half painted rig with fully polished Kettles.:mug:

Is that your pump on the back wall of your stand?

It was definitely a "rush to production" situation. The stand had been done for quite some time. I painted it with gray primer thinking it would not rust at least. The hi-heat orange was just shot up at the hot surfaces quickly so I could get the diamond plate 'skid protectors' riveted on under the keggles. They had been polished up for a while too!

Yup, the pump and RIMS heater are mounted to the back plate. Pump motor needs splash shield yet.

We really needed a kick in the butt to get on this again. We were sweating copper Saturday morn. Then I had to work. Sat nite we were heating/circulating/boiling cleaner water thru the system to get the oils/flux/crap cleaned out. Fix some leaks. Then a good rinse and bed.

Church Sunday morn. At noon we sent one of the nephews up to the hardware store for a couple switches "of any style" and by 1pm we were heating strike water.

This is obviously a "Don't do this at home" deal. Open wiring. Open switches. Improper heat shielding. Spills, chills and thrills! :ban:

Lots of good lessons and ideas derived tho. Now I gotta tear it all apart. Fix/finish the paint. Build the control panel. Install the heat shields. Number the sight tubes. Insulate stuff.

This is obviously a "Don't do this at home" deal. Open wiring. Open switches. Improper heat shielding. Spills, chills and thrills! :ban:

Lots of good lessons and ideas derived tho. Now I gotta tear it all apart. Fix/finish the paint. Build the control panel. Install the heat shields. Number the sight tubes. Insulate stuff.

Yeah..... you might want to finish all that stuff before brewing again. I hate to be that guy, but open wiring and switches is no joke. There is no reason to half ass it when it comes to electrical stuff. even for testing.

Now that I got that out of the way. Great looking rig. I like the design, the shiney kegs, and the podium layout. You are going to have a mighty nice rig after you clean up that control system. I like the colors too.

Yeah..... you might want to finish all that stuff before brewing again. I hate to be that guy, but open wiring and switches is no joke. There is no reason to half ass it when it comes to electrical stuff. even for testing.

Now that I got that out of the way. Great looking rig. I like the design, the shiney kegs, and the podium layout. You are going to have a mighty nice rig after you clean up that control system. I like the colors too.

It's ok to be that guy! :cool:

I've heard that beer can make people do stupid things. That's what I've heard anyway.

Ok, well things are coming together. Once again at the last minute, but none the less. (stupid work keeps sucking up my free time!)

All that's left is wiring and shielding between the HLT burner and back of control panel. I'm still waiting for my momentary push buttons for the burner ignitors.

olympian flame front.JPG

Back