2 packets of yeast

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bwatts4200

Reaction score
I bought a kit at my local homebrew store and in the mix it came with 2 packets of yeast. No where in the included instructions does it mention adding a second pitch... It is a India Brown Ale, would this need a second packet and if so when would I pitch it? If it doesn't need a second, would it at all be helpful if I added it anyway or should I just save it?

I assume these are dry yeast packets, yes? It's probably a mistake. Save it! Having an extra packet on hand isn't a bad thing.

What is the size of the package? It it's a small 6 gram package, you need two. If it's an 11 gram package, one is probably enough depending on the OG of the beer.

Depends how big the packets of yeast are and what the OG of your beer will be. Do you have that info?

Edit: Sorry Yooper, I type too slow :)

Wow, they come in smaller sizes? That's news to me. If that's the case, I'd buy those for my split batches for sure.

Use this cool tool to determine how much yeast you should pitch. You will need to know the original gravity, which should be in your instructions. Enter your OG and batch size, then click the tab for dry yeast. It will tell you how many 5g and 11.5 g packets you need to pitch.

OG is 1.073 and they are the 11g packets... the tool is saying 2.6.... hmmm thanks for the help guys!!

cheers

after i finished and pitched the yeast OG came out to only 1.062... which is .011 away from the anticipated OG... What does that mean for the outcome?

If you are working with extract, you should be fine. The extract provided in the kit, when added to the specified amount of water, will hit the specified OG. You can always double check to see if you added too much water or left some extract out. But most likely, the wort and the top off water hadn't completely mixed when you took your sample, and you got a diluted sample. It will mix, the yeast will do its job, and you should be fine.

Latest posts

Back