Another Grain Storage Question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bobbyc

Reaction score
I recently bought a used chest freezer on craigslist. Stupid me didn't test to make sure it works... and of course, it doesn't. Old ladies can't be trusted.

Anyway... I'm thinking now I've got a 16 cubic foot grain storage bin. Right now I have the freezer out in my metal shead, underneath some trees. I live in South Carolina, so it gets rather hot (& humid) in the summer. I'd like to start buying bulk grains. Is anyone else storing their grains in a similar way to this? I'm wondering if the freezer might offer a bit more insulation from the hot summer than plastic bins. I guess anyone else living down south storing grain in their garage might be able to offer me some advice.

Thanks!

(I have searched through old forums, but am still not completely confident this is a good idea)

I keep mine in my garage in a brand new aluminum trash can from Lowe's. That keeps out any type of rodents.

To prevent bugs, I weigh out and package my 2-Row Pale to 8# bags (for my Haus Ale) and then I put them in the metal can in the garage and put the lid on. This should keep the bugs out plus it's pre-measured for my next batch of beer

I love my FoodSaver. Here's the contents of a 55# bag of Pale.

4569-Foodsaver55poundsPale.jpg

Latest posts

Back