yeast for braggot question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
What type of braggot are you wanting to make? meaning what beer "base style" are you looking to develope, for example I am putting together a recipe to make a braggot version of an irish dry stout and the yeast I'm planning on using is an irish ale yeast that is normally used for that type of beer.

Which brings me to a question I've had (in case any experienced brewers or braggot makers happen upon this thread)...has anyone used acidulated malt? I've never tried it and have read mixed reviews on it, the only reason i've been contemplating it is because dry stouts often have a hint of sour flavor to them and some people have recommended a small amount of the acidulated malt in the mash to mimick the process of souring a beer or small portion of wort and combining.

I just used k1V in a Hefe Style Braggot.

I brewed 10 gallons of a hefe and had extra wort so I added some honey and K1V was the only yeast I had on hand.

I bottled it a month ago so I haven't tasted it carbonated yet but it tasted great when I was bottling. Plan to crack one over the 4th so I will update this thread then.

Here's my recipe...

1 gallon batch
OG 1.090
FG 1.018

1 gallon of Hefe wort w/ .25 oz of Tettang @ 60 min (1.030)
2 lbs clover honey (1.070)
1 Minneola Tangelo
8 raisins
K1V

Dry hopped with 1 oz of Tettnang for 4 days

Not really shooting for any particular style, this is only my second braggot. The first one I made does taste very much like a commercial honey beer that I like. I'm planning to use k1v-1116 for my next braggot because that's what I have on hand. The main difference I'm going for in my next, second braggot is to have a bit more hop influence in it; would like a little more bitterness in this next one. So going to use k1v this time (used d47 for the first one), and am going to use 8oz 20L crystal malt (used 10L in the first one). Appreciate the responses.

Which brings me to a question I've had (in case any experienced brewers or braggot makers happen upon this thread)...has anyone used acidulated malt? I've never tried it and have read mixed reviews on it, the only reason i've been contemplating it is because dry stouts often have a hint of sour flavor to them and some people have recommended a small amount of the acidulated malt in the mash to mimick the process of souring a beer or small portion of wort and combining.

I've never used the acciduated malt, however on our wine tasting binge thru Northern New York we stopped in at Custom Brewcrafters. They had a beer made with acciduated malt that we tasted. It had a bit of a sourness to it. I felt it was ok, my wife loved it.

I've never used the acciduated malt, however on our wine tasting binge thru Northern New York we stopped in at Custom Brewcrafters. They had a beer made with acciduated malt that we tasted. It had a bit of a sourness to it. I felt it was ok, my wife loved it.

Thanks Roady, I'm still undecided on it, I don't want to risk making more of a sour than a stout.

Latest posts

Back