WARNING to newbie homebrewers!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nbolmer

Reaction score
WARNING:
Homebrewing may cause you to rethink your career choice. In the past 5 years, I've gone from Lawyer, to pub owner, to brewer.

We just visited our 10bbl system at the welder.

Don't get frustrated: That beat up stock pot is where dreams are made. :mug:

429094_387653334596574_115289395166304_1406333_1395254922_n.jpg

As a lawyer trying to learn to home brew a bit, out here in NY...all I can say is... Respect!

All in 5 years? That's impressive! Good job!

Yep, about 4 actually since leaving the practice. It's been a crazy ride. Thanks a lot :) My wife and I have really given up a lot, but our dream is about to come true.

I've never ceased to be humbled by the ingenuity, creativity, and plain awesomeness of the homebrew community - I plan on continuing to homebrew, and to help give back what has given me so much. Newbie brewers, you are in for such a trip :)

Cool shop. Me and one of my friends are always joking how if we don't like our jobs 5 or 10 years down the road that we'll open up a brewery by the beach. haha.

Kevin

Cool shop. Me and one of my friends are always joking how if we don't like our jobs 5 or 10 years down the road that we'll open up a brewery by the beach. haha.

Kevin

Yah, the welder is Dan Schulte, who basically makes custom breweries for a living. His shop is WAY up in the mountains in Cazadero (you have to ford a river in a 4x4... seriously... to get there). He says he likes working without distraction - has a second home there and everything. All solar / generator. My brewhouse was made in a very green facility :) I could have hung out there all day and talked beer, but my homebrew won't bottle itself... until I get that bottling line I'm eyeing.

You sir, are an inspiration... If only I could get my wife on board with that kind of business plan. I would seriously not get anything done because I would be too busy staring at the equipment all day. :drunk:

Congratulations on achieving what so many people aspire to. I myself was just talking about this with someone not two hours ago.

Awesome, congrats. In my previous job I did 100 L fermentations for pilot scale protein expression, and it never even crossed my mind to brew.

I can see how this is a slippery slope!

Looks wicked, but I have no clue what it is... Haha. Stock pots, carboys, and 6.5 gal pails are all I know. Congrats. It's very special and rewarding to do something you love for a living. No fear.

I wish I lived closer so you could take me under your wing. This is my goal someday too.

I'll have to come by and check you out sometime. I've heard your tavern is pretty cool.

How difficult would you say the journey was to enter into commercial serving of your beer, now that you're a commercial brewery?

Wow! Looks awesome man!

I'm a premedical student getting ready to enter medical school in 2013, and I cannot tell you how close I was to pushing aside the doctor dream and pursuing a career in brewing.

Hopefully when I'm making a big boy doctor salary I can open up a brew pub of my own!

Oh how I dream.

Best of luck. Keep the dream of all is home brewers alive!

Congratulations on making the jump, the new career, and new equipment! :mug:

I'm hoping to transition over from home to professional brewing, but it will be years down the road when I can provide most of my own financial backing. Until then I'll keep practicing. You are a true inspiration!

How difficult would you say the journey was to enter into commercial serving of your beer, now that you're a commercial brewery?

This is a fantastic question, and ultimately lead us to opening a pub. I've had the unfortunate experience of seeing excellent small breweries fold due to a lack of accounts.

As frequent pub-goers, we know that it is rare to get great food at the same place as great beer- and when you can get it, it's so expensive that it's tough to be a regular. We decided that instead of launching a brewery off the bat, we'd need a successful pub to be our own "main account". That takes a lot of pressure off of us to immediately distribute. We can grow at a measured pace (though we are a PRODUCTION brewery, not simply a brewpub with the brewery in the next town over).

Over the past 4 years, we've made a lot of friends in the beer scene, as well as the restaurant scene. I don't forsee much trouble hitting our targets for distribution - we already have a number of handle requests, and we're not even installed yet.

If we had launched a brewery first, we wouldn't have the same network of industry contacts to help us get over that first hurdle. The craft beer industry in norther CA (Russian River, Moonlight, Lagunitas, etc...) is a lot like the homebrew scene. Amazing people willing to help you in any way possible. Ruth McGowan's Brewpub in Cloverdale did a collaboration with me for a special Oktoberfest beer for both of our pubs (Pimpsnhosenfest!).

In short, having a solid pub really will make a difference, I'm not sweating commercialization.

Where is your brewpub. Im not to far away and would love to support your endeavors

The pub is in Occidental, about 25 min from Santa Rosa in Sonoma County. It's a great stop if you (or anyone) is up in wine country.

In fact, any member of this board who might decide to stop by, when you do, send me a PM with your name, and I'll leave a beer on the board for ya. We have a grease board where locals buy beers for friends, so that when the friend pops in, there's a free beer waiting. Pretty cool.

The pub is in Occidental, about 25 min from Santa Rosa in Sonoma County. It's a great stop if you (or anyone) is up in wine country.

In fact, any member of this board who might decide to stop by, when you do, send me a PM with your name, and I'll leave a beer on the board for ya. We have a grease board where locals buy beers for friends, so that when the friend pops in, there's a free beer waiting. Pretty cool.

Awesome! I'm in Mendocino County, and would love to make it down there soon.

That's so rad Noah....the new equipment, the pub, the story....everything! Speaking as someone with a relatively high-paying but dead-end job....you're my hero!

I wasn't expecting such a huge response to this. I'll add another detail to the story.

I was 29, and HUGELY afraid of turning 30 when this all started. I lived in an office, and my plant had a name (Charlene the ficus is still doing well, I hear). The company I helped take public started going in a management direction I didn't agree with (ruthless, and not the tasty Rye beer from Sierra). I took my stock options, took out MASSIVE loans, and opened the pub. We don't own property, but we'd have mortgaged it if we did. It is VERY scary to put everything on the line (this is 2008, during the worst part of the down economy, in the restaurant business which has a 90% failure rate).

The reason I bring this up is to illustrate that this wasn't an easy process; anyone with big dreams can absolutely succeed, but the risk and cost can be very, very high, and that's important to keep in mind. A solid plan, a serviceable niche, a great location, and a dedicated customer base are all required. So many restaurants fail because home cooks think they are chefs (they're not), or chefs think they can handle the business side without help (possible, but usually disastrous). Having your metaphorical ducks in a row is essential. Don't wing it. Be ready. Have a solid team in place. Once you're positive that you are ready, go ALL IN - whether you're going bigtime brewer, or opening a pub.

I live in Santa Rosa, I will work for free to gain experience !!! As an EMS pilot I work a week, then I'm off a week...I would be glad to lend a hand

I live in Santa Rosa, I will work for free to gain experience !!! As an EMS pilot I work a week, then I'm off a week...I would be glad to lend a hand

I may work out an internship program, but I'll need to work the bugs out of the system and get on a schedule first... year or so.

Latest posts

Back