Mildew Alert!!!!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bernerbrau

Reaction score
I've been regulating temperature by keeping my fermenters in the tub filled with water, and with towels wrapped around them to cool them off via evaporation. I also have a gallon jug full of water that I freeze regularly and put into the tub to lower temps.

Well, I walked into my fermentation chamber today and there was an overpowering, pungent mildew smell.

I immediately drained the tub, tossed the towels in the washer, and sprayed EVERYTHING (including the outsides of my active fermenters) with star-san. Is this going to be enough, or should I use bleach?

I just hope the porter and cider are safe (the airlock is filled with vodka)! I don't want to open them to test though, because I'm worried about accidentally contaminating them just by opening them.

How do I prevent mildew? Should I just not use the towels anymore? Or sanitize and change water and towels more frequently? Or use old T-Shirts instead of towels?

I put a little bleach in the water.

I will do this from now on. I just need to take care when tipping.

I still want to know if Star-San will kill the mildew, or if I need to make a bleach solution.

You might try a capful or two of bleach in your tub of water to prevent it from getting mildew. Changing the water more often will help too.

If you've given everything a good spritz with StarSan, you've done everything you can to prevent contamination so I think your safe checking your brews.

The smell is still there, but nothing I smell up close has a mildew smell to it.

All my racking/bottling/brewing equipment is now soaking in hot detergent water.

Figures this would happen on a brew day!

Back