IT Guys Help

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Airplanedoc

Reaction score
Anybody know anything about Network Drives and changing the security permissions?

I have a older WD network drive that I want to use, but somehow it got set on read only, so I can't consolidate my files on it. I can't figure out how to change it, so I can use my own damn drive. Am I screwed?

Right click on the drive, select Properties and a window should pop up with details about the drive. Near the bottom there should be some check boxes and one of them should be labeled "Read Only." Uncheck that box, click OK and you should be all set. This operation requires Admin privileges (pretty sure about that), which I assume you have. Hope that helps.

Whoops, sorry about that. That's the old way to do it, but if you're running a newer OS (I'm assuming Windows) then when you go into the properties for the drive you need to click the "Edit" under the "Security" tab after selecting the account you want to change permissions for. Click the "Allow" checkbox for Full Control. Click OK and you should be set.

Latest posts

Back