star san - undiluted

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

breadbohn

Reaction score
Hi,

I've seen lots of discussion here about how long star san will keep, and I myself can use the same five-gallon batch for months without seeing the pH rise above 2.

However, when I mixed up a fresh batch tonight, the pH was up around 7-8. Has anybody else seen this? Is there something about how long you can keep the undiluted star san in its original bottle? I add that my original bottle was stored in a cool room, ~60-65F, and in the dark.

Any ideas are appreciated.

I have not seen this. What is the Ph of the undiluted star san?

outta the bottle 1.5 or something. its 2.8 when 1oz/5gal and distilled water lasts over 6 months at 2.8

Yeah I meant his particular batch. To get a ph that high I would think it is above 3 to start with.

If that is the cas you might want to call the company and see about getting it replaced.

If the undiluted checks out in strength though then I would say there is a problem with the mixing.

Oops, looks like I just didn't stir the stuff enough. I figured it was petty churned up in the vigorous flow of water I added to it. But now, after stirring, it's fine.

Sorry to trouble you folks, but I panicked - tomorrow's brew day, and I won't be able to get to the LHBS. Anoher novice lesson learned!

Back