Labels that make you pass up a beer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm guessing that you wouldn't like my Skulldog Plane iPA, then:

SkulldogPlaneiPA.png
Hahahaha this is my favorite post of all time.

Good show my friend.

Innis and Gunn oak aged beer. Has anybody seen this thing? my god i started drooling just looking at it on the shelf and just had to have one. they look absolutely delicious. although they do come in a clear bottle which is a little taboo.

innis%20&%20gunn.jpg

Try and tell me right now you don't want to run out and find one of these beauties

I always have a 6 pack of these in my fridge....delicious!

Innis and Gunn oak aged beer. Has anybody seen this thing? my god i started drooling just looking at it on the shelf and just had to have one. they look absolutely delicious. although they do come in a clear bottle which is a little taboo.

innis%20&%20gunn.jpg

Try and tell me right now you don't want to run out and find one of these beauties

Clear Bottle be DAMNED! That looks tasty right there! :rockin:

Great Divide's labels are about as bland as I've seen...and I don't hesitate to grab 'em up. Loves me some GD.

OTOH, I am currently collecting bottles with dogs on the labels. Especially if they are pits, labs, boxers and the like. There is a lady in our brew club that makes awesome serving trays with beer labels and decoupage. I've gotta save up at least 40 of 'em...long way to go still.

a local brewery here in fredericton bottles a Porter with a big black dog on the front, and the brew is even named Man's Best Friend. Haha I personally like it, but I guess for whatever reason this dude just doesn't like dogs. I wouldnt hesitate to buy a skulldog plane IPA if I thought it was going to taste good. Someone should really just market that beer to piss of the first poster royally haha

That looks damn good! Their marketing guy is genious!

He really is. i've never seen a beer other then this one that jumps off the shelf at you, it really is amazing. The beer itself is absolutely amazing too, but this thread was about appearance so I didnt mention it before :D

But yes if you find one of these pick them up. there are limited edition ones out there right now marketed as being triple matured oak aged beer, and come in a fancy ass box, so if you find one of these I suggest picking it up.

Although, the way they bottle these things I dont know why they would WANT to sell it in a box. A little peculiar to me..

Innus and Gunn comes in individual boxes too, which would negate the clear bottle issue.

n223306710_3340773_1054.jpg

From what I have seen only the limited edition brews they put out each year come in boxes. The regular oak aged beer and their blonde ale is always on sale at my local liquor store, and they are never sold in boxes.

From what I have seen only the limited edition brews they put out each year come in boxes. The regular oak aged beer and their blonde ale is always on sale at my local liquor store, and they are never sold in boxes.

I bought the regular "Cask Strength" in a box in the UK, but perhaps some of their beers don't come with boxes.

yea I think the two that I mentioned are the ones that are available year round, while the others like the cask ale that are available every once in awhile are sold in boxes. I just oicked up a triple matured oak aged that ive never seen beofre in a box, and I had one of those rum cask ones last year and I havent seen one of those since

Or how about this one boys. Doesn't this just make you want to cry, its just so gorgeous.

1425.jpg

The box looks so ornate and beautiful, and the bottle has a serial number on it for christ sake. Budweiser eat your heart out, this baby is the true king of beers.

Or how about this one boys. Doesn't this just make you want to cry, its just so gorgeous.

1425.jpg

The box looks so ornate and beautiful, and the bottle has a serial number on it for christ sake. Budweiser eat your heart out, this baby is the true king of beers.

Yes, that is taking your product seriously. Also, I love when brewers like Fulllers have their name molded into the bottle. Cool.

1425.jpg

I've said it before, but if there was only one brewery left in the world I would want it to be Fuller's

edit:
That's a good beer

No dogs, eh?

bambiere-tile.jpg

How about cats?

roja-tile.jpg

I think Jolly Pumpkin has the best labels of anyone.

No dogs, eh?

bambiere-tile.jpg

How about cats?

roja-tile.jpg

I think Jolly Pumpkin has the best labels of anyone.
You got me there, that is one of the best beers of all time and although I don't care for the bam bier label I would buy it even if it raped my mother.

BTW cats > dogs

Here is a brewery I avoid just because of the label:

large_tgesg.jpg

I keep expecting it to say "malt liquor" or something on it. I've actually been meaning to try it since its brewed not far from my hometown but I still cant get over the labels...

I think the hop types on the bottle is kind of overkill. The only person who would ever care about that is a homebrewer. It would just confuse the crap out of everybody else, and clutter the label up. I think the only information necessary on a beer label is alcohol %, name of brewery, the style of beer and whatever name the brewery came up with for that specific brew.

Oh and the little blurbs they sometimes pout on the back. Those are nice too because they give information as to what your drinking, but they are on the back so its not as important as to what it looks like

Some labels influence what I buy, not because they look stupid but because they look low budget. If the beer label looks low budget I think the beer is too. Thats not to say I wont try it if put in front of me. I am not going to judge a beer by a breweries taste in art though .

I think some breweries are going way, way over the top in an attempt to get attention. Bottom line is what's inside. Red Hook has a fairly plain label, yet contains good beer. The new Michelob "crafts" have a handsome bottle and high end labels, but the contents are underwhelming. Of course, there are great beers with over-the-top labeling, too, such as Unibroue.

Bringing an old thread back from the dead just 'cause I tried a beer with a complete crap label and inside was complete crap. . . Although SWMBO mixed it with Pepsi and it was tolerable. . .that says something about the quality. . .

IMG_20120617_085807.jpg

When i am browsing the bomber aisle at my local store if its a brewery i never heard of them i do judge some what by art work. Before i heard of ballast point I passed on sculpin many times, just not diggin that fish, seemed really cheesy to me

I can't stand Magic Hat's labels. I bought a 6er of #9 at some point. The beer wasn't impressive enough to get me to ignore the stupid ass labels.

EnjoyGoodBeer said:
Iv had many beers redhook is very much unenjoyable. Hard to believe there still brewing.

I picked up a sixer of their IPA be cause one of my sister companies redesigned their logo/bottle. Not impressed at all.

This is the superficial beer thread. This is for those labels that you just think are so stupid that you won't pick that beer up on the shelf and just pass it on by. Not necessarily ones you just don't really think about because they aren't creative, but ones that suck so bad it makes you not want to support that brewery. This thread is not for talking about how delicious a beer inside the bottle is, but how poor of a job they did labeling it.

For me, anything involving Aviation or Dogs on the label is never getting bought by my. Some breweries will theme their entire line of beers off of these and I think it's a big mistake. Sure planes are kinda cool and I like dogs a bunch, but what the hell do they have to do with beer? I don't wanna think about your dog drooling and all his hair floating around the brewery when I am drinking your beer...gross. There has also been two breweries in my state that have gone under after using an aviation theme as their entire marketing approach. Coincidence? Not likely.

Pretty much anything sporting skulls or that has like a skull and crossbones on the label. This is the most redneck approach you can take to anything. Just stop.

so no wingwalker or fling dog for you huh. what a shame

best labels are sierra nevada and jolly pumpkin. i love the art

worst is the red white and blue banners of bud and friends... extremely irritating

I can't think of any that I don't buy because I don't like the label but I can say I gravitate more towards bottles that I think is interesting. You can't go wrong with gargoyles on Stone's beers!

Latest posts

Back