Tastes a little "hairy".

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

paddy1998

Reaction score
Using Cote de Blanc yeast and 3 pounds of cane sugar I fermented 5 gallons from 1.056 to 1.026 and then racked to secondary for two days and then racked to keg at 1.022 and then pastuerized to halt further fermentation. Let it rest in the keg overnight outside (40 degrees)

nose is pretty good, tastes pretty good but "hairy". That's really the only way I can describe it. What the hell is that? will it mellow out? and even if it will is there something I can add that will get rid of it now?

You don't have a cousin it do you?

Cousin it.jpg

LOL. Yeah, "hairy" is the only way I can describe it. The only other time I have experienced this kind of taste was the finish on a shot of Johnny Walker Blue. Just . . . hairy.

Never had Walker blue but I've had some ciders made from dessert apples that could possibly be described that way. Maybe try adding some malic acid?

I used Indian Summer Apple Cider. I tried adding a half tsp of malic acid per gallon with no immediate effect. I threw the keg into the refrigerator until I can figure this out. Does Malic acid take awhile to have an effect?

I used Indian Summer Apple Cider. I tried adding a half tsp of malic acid per gallon with no immediate effect. I threw the keg into the refrigerator until I can figure this out. Does Malic acid take awhile to have an effect?

Should be instant. Maybe try adding a little bit next time you pull a glass to see if it has en effect.

It mellowed some with refrigeration. Then me and my buddy proceeded to drink half the keg last night, so I guess it's okay. Got pretty hammered on it too. Thanks guys.

what's it taste like when you ferment pure cane sugar? or was there other flavors in there as well? Never thought about mixing up pure sugar and just adding yeast.

isn't that what rum is from? fermented cane sugar that's been distilled?

I don't know about rum. The OG of my juice was like 1.035 so I jacked it up to 1.056 with the sugar (disolved in as little water as I could; it was like runny syrup when I added it to the juice) then pastuerized at 1.022 to stop fermentation and maintain residual sweetness. I don't think any taste is due to what type of sugar is fermented because that is converted to alcohol and CO2. Any taste would be the result of the unfermented sugar which, in this case, tastes like sugar. I'm thinking about trying a similar set up with brown sugar to see how the molassses fares tastewise. I'm hoping that KISS v2.0 recipe is posted soon. He says it'll be a close clone of Angry Orchard Crisp.

Back