Can I save my beer???

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Timo21

Reaction score
Ok so I wanted to make a wheat beer and the kit came with an ale yeast. However the beer I am brewing depends on the weather where I am because I just keep it in the garage (only a few degrees warmer than outside) in barrels of water to help stabilize the temp. So as a last minute decision I bought premium Lager yeast to replace the ale yeast as the weather was suppose to be quite cold the next couple weeks. I made it last night and thought it would be colder but the water temp in the barrels is around 18C/64F and actual temp inside the fermenter is probably just a bit warmer due to the activity of the fermenting. Is there any way to save it? only thing I can think of is dumping ice in the water but that will get exhausting and constantly fluctuate the temp quite a bit, wont that stress out the yeast and give off flavors?. Will the beer turn out like crap if it just stays at a consistent 18c/64F??? or do I need to try and cool it down all the time? any suggestions?
I feel like I am right in between Lager/ale temps. Should I have just used the Ale and tried to keep it warmer?

I havent made a lager yet, but at 65, I would use the ale yeast.

Although I have heard of Steam beer, (using lager yeast at ale temperatures) might want to look that up.

Good luck on your brew!

Many wheat beers use ale style yeast to ferment in the same temperature range. A neutral dry yeast like US-05 will work very well for wheat beers. I have used it many times when I was out of liquid yeast for wheats.

So do you think in order to save this batch I need to keep a constant eye on the temp and add ice/ cold water as necessary? or will a premium lager yeast do alright as long as it stays at 18C and below? its currently at 17.856 degrees Celsius... just checked it

Timo21 said:
will a premium lager yeast do alright as long as it stays at 18C and below? its currently at 17.856 degrees Celsius... just checked it
What the the precise strain and maker of this "premium" yeast?
Anyways, many lager yeasts are to be fermented around 50* F, and 18* C = 64.4F, so you are 10+* too hot.

Lagers really really need to be fermented in a temp controlled fridge/freezer chamber for the best results.

Most ale yeasts thrive at 18*C so keep it in mind for next time!

cheers!

Not sure the specifics of the strain its just an aussie brand "Brew Cellars" - Premium yeast lager... my bubbler is going pretty good right now so I guess that might be a bad thing but the temp is down to 16C, But even if I was too use an Ale yeast wouldnt 16C be too cold?

Latest posts

Back