Took the leap

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Thaumaturgist

Reaction score
Just wanted every one to know that I started my first batch tonight. It was a Honey Amber Ale. It had two pounds of honey. The directions said to add the honey for the last 30 minutes for a mild honey flavor, or for the last 10 minutes for a more aromatic results. My problem is that from every thing that I've heard here, you should add the honey at flame out. So... What did I do? I added half at 30 minutes, and added the other half at flame out. Will this give me any strange results :confused:

:drunk:

You're fine. I've made brews with honey added directly to the fermenter and not in the kettle. Personally, I don't think honey adds a whole lot of flavor, but it's a great way to jump up the alcohol content and add a little sweetness.

Thaumaturgist said:
Just wanted every one to know that I started my first batch tonight. It was a Honey Amber Ale. It had two pounds of honey. The directions said to add the honey for the last 30 minutes for a mild honey flavor, or for the last 10 minutes for a more aromatic results. My problem is that from every thing that I've heard here, you should add the honey at flame out. So... What did I do? I added half at 30 minutes, and added the other half at flame out. Will this give me any strange results :confused:

:drunk:

Probably not, although I've never brewed with honey.

Dan

Racked to secondary today, smells good. Seems a little light in color than I thought it might be though.

only problem I see is you are going to be chomping at the bit to drink this, and the honey will need time to age and mellow out (like at least a month after bottling). If you don't wait I bet you'll find yourself disliking the sharp alcohol taste....

I would have done something quick and easy that can be downed immediately like this belgian wit or an light IPA.

At any rate, congrats on getting it going!!

Congrats on jumping head first in! i've never brewed with honey... yet. ;) keep us informed on how it turns out!

Back