DIY BIAB false bottom - rust?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

alers22

Reaction score
I am a BIABer and I made my own false bottom (in my case this is simply to keep the bag off the bottom of the keggle) out of a pizza rack. I used a Dremmel to cut it in half and used stainless wire as hinges (I brew in a keggle so I needed a FB that is 15"d and can fit in a 12" opening).

Here is my problem. I did a test with my new keggle using just water. The next day I noticed that the faces of any cuts made to the pizza rack were slightly rusted. Is this enough rust to cause a problem? Will soaking in Bar Keepers Friend help at all?

Id like to be able to use it since I think it is a great idea! Pics attached.

Thanks for the input!!

False Bottom 3.jpg

False Bottom 2.jpg

False Bottom 1.jpg

it's tough to know from a picture if that pizza rack is stainless, aluminium, or just chromed steel (might be hard even in person, especially if it's from china). If it's the first 2 you shouldn't see any rust. and they'd work just fine (Just boil the aluminum one in water for a bit. I'd BKF the rack and then leave it in water for a bit, take it out and let it dry over night. if it's rusty I'd guess it's just chromed steel. and I'd find an alternative.

Great idea! Even if it doesn't work out as planned. good luck

If it got hot during cutting even stainless will rust
Go over the cuts with fine emery paper and clean with Consentrated Star-San or BKF
Let dry for a day before testing again

It might be that its chromed steel whitch would mean that it wont ever be suitable for brewing

That looks really familiar.

Picked up this inexpensive cake cooling rack for my 10 gallon Boilermaker - billed as stainless steel. Snipped out a section (on the left) for the dip tube. Worked great for a while but then noticed the rust. Can't use that in my wort anymore. Looking for a REAL stainless option if anyone has a good suggestion.

Dishing out the cash for a real false bottom seems crazy.

FB1.jpg

FB2.jpg

Back