sugar all clumped in the bottom

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

OHIOSTEVE

Reaction score
I am doing a spiced tea wine and added a second batch of sugar last night....4 pounds of sugar in a pot.....mixed in some of the must and heated to a boil and all of the sugar was dissolved.....cooled down and poured into the bottom of a carboy and racked the remainder of the must over the top.....about an hour later I had about an inch of solid sugar in the bottom of the carboy....I mixed it up but it is not staying in suspension. this only made 8 pounds of sugar in 5 gallons so it is not over saturated....why did this happen? I haven't had it happen before.

Is the must very cold? Cooling a saturated solution can make some of the dissolved material precipitate out. It doesn't seem like that's enough sugar to saturate even cold water though. (But what do I know?) Is there anything else dissolved in the must? Acids, etc?

Dave

Is the must very cold? Cooling a saturated solution can make some of the dissolved material precipitate out. It doesn't seem like that's enough sugar to saturate even cold water though. (But what do I know?) Is there anything else dissolved in the must? Acids, etc?

Dave

This is a remake of a wine I did one day while bored( I think it is horrid but my wife and a couple of other ladies like it...they say it has a spicy pumpkin flavor...I think it tastes like vomit lol) . it is simply spiced orange tea bags steeped in water brought to a boil then set for 15 minutes...4 pounds of sugar added ( all I had in the house at the time) , boiled then topped off to 5 gallons. cooled to mid 70's and champagne yeast pitched......a few days later pulled out some of the "wine" and mixed with 4 pounds of sugar , boiled and then racked the remainder of the " wine" over this....THATS where I have the clumped up stuff in the bottom.... I have been stirring it with a long rod and getting down into the sugar..it is aboult all dissolved now.
EDIT TO ADD____ yeah it is not very warm...upper 50's low 60's I think.

Back