1554 is here motherf***er!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

danorocks17

Reaction score
so thanks to this forum I found out that Indiana would soon be supplying everyone with New Belgium beers. Now 1554 has been my white whale beer for about five years now. When I was in college on of my roommates worked in Colorado for a summer and came back with 6 sixpacks of 1554. It was the most marvelous beer I have ever had at that point in my life and when we finally drank the last of those wonderful bottles a few months later I was pretty bummed but knew at sometime I would find it. That has never happened until this afternoon. It has always been in the back of my mind that if I ever had 1554 again it might not blow my hair back like it did 5 years ago, I was almost afraid of spoiling a great memory. My tastes have changed considerably since then, so it might not hold up to the ridiculous standards that I have built it up to right??? Well I gotta say, this stuff is still the ****:rockin: Do yourself a favor fellow hoosiers and get a bomber of this stuff, you won't regret it

Whenever I get to Neveda ( gambling ) I try to pick some up. It's not always available at the discount liquor store in Wendover, but every once in a while I get lucky.

That's a good one. I'm lucky that pretty much all the stores here carry lots of NB products. I really like their trippel and have been LOVING their Mighty Arrow lately.

1554 is a damned fine brew. I've only had one six pack, but I still remember how good it was.

It's really the only NB beer I've ever liked.

Are you a fan of sour beers? If so, check out their La Folie, a wood aged, sour brown ale. I don't have a ton of experience with sour ales, but I really enjoyed it. I'm not sure that the bottles are available year-round though. Maybe just in the fall - I think I bought it last November.

And thumbs up to 1554 too.

There's a clone recipe floating around here somewhere. It's my next brew. :mug:

I have my version of a 1554 clone in primary right now. I looked all around for recipies, and every one is different. Different people have emailed NB over the years, and they have given "hints" as to what the recipe is. One helpful message from NB gave the list of ingredients for each of the NB brews. If you follow this list, pretty much all of the clone recipies are wrong.

From NEW BELGIUM:
"As you could probably guess we can't give you the recipe but we CAN
give you the ingredients. Here is a list of all of our brews in case you
are interested. Fat Tire is at the top.

Fat Tire: 5.3% alcohol
Hops and Spices-Willamette, Goldings and Magnum
Malts: Pale, C-40, Munich and Victory

Sunshine Wheat: 4.8%
Hops and Spices: Coriander, Orange Peel, and Magnum
Malts: Pale, Carapils, Wheat

1554: 5.5%
Hops and Spices: Magnum
Malts: Pale, Carapils, Black, Munich, Chocolate

Blue Paddle: 4.9%
Hops and Spices: Saaz, Liberty, Magnum
Malts: Pale, Munich, Carapils, Aromatic

Abbey: 7.0%
Hops and Spices: Willamette, Magnum, Hallertau
Malts: Pale, Chocolate, Carapils, C-40, C-80, Munich

Trippel: 8.7%
Hops and Spices: Saaz, Liberty, Magnum, Coriander
Malts: Pale, Victory, Munich

Hope that helps! If you would like more information on any of our other
brews (Special Release beers etc..) please let us know. These are just
our 'full time' beers. Happy homebrewing! "

Other NB emails have hinted at the black malt is de-bittered and grains of paradise may have been added late in the boil. Another message sez that there are no aroma hops in 1554, only a 60 minute addition. the yeast is "lager yeast fermented at ale temps"

I don't yet know if my clone will be good, or a swing and a miss. I'll know in a month or so.

so thanks to this forum I found out that Indiana would soon be supplying everyone with New Belgium beers. Now 1554 has been my white whale beer for about five years now. When I was in college on of my roommates worked in Colorado for a summer and came back with 6 sixpacks of 1554. It was the most marvelous beer I have ever had at that point in my life and when we finally drank the last of those wonderful bottles a few months later I was pretty bummed but knew at sometime I would find it. That has never happened until this afternoon. It has always been in the back of my mind that if I ever had 1554 again it might not blow my hair back like it did 5 years ago, I was almost afraid of spoiling a great memory. My tastes have changed considerably since then, so it might not hold up to the ridiculous standards that I have built it up to right??? Well I gotta say, this stuff is still the ****:rockin: Do yourself a favor fellow hoosiers and get a bomber of this stuff, you won't regret it

I am jealous, I only hope that they start a wider distribution past Indiana. I love their 2 Below but ofcourse can't get any of it here and have never been able to try the 1554.

I like most all their brews and they're pretty common around here. The new Mighty Arrow certainly lives up to that standard. Good excuse for more bottles.

I grabbed one last night, pretty good. i could drink a lot of it but it didn't blow me away.

Now La Folie, that stuff blows me away every time I have it.

I found this beer in an American Legion bar in Pierre South Dakota of all places. Loved it, but didn't find much difference between it and alot of brown ales. good thing I LOVE brown ale ;)

Latest posts

Back