Can 22oz. bottles handle 3 volumes of CO2?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GritCityBrewer

Reaction score
I have searched multiple threads and forums and have not found the answer so I am asking if anyone has been successful and carbonating at 3 volumes of CO2 in standard capable 22oz. bottles without bottle bombs.

I have a Tripel in the secondary and plan to bottle in another month and want to know if I should invest in the belgian 750ml thick walled bottes or if I will be okay with that stockpile that I already have.

I keg the majority of my brews but want to be true to style on this one.

Any practical experience is appreciated.

Thanks.

Rogue Voodoo Maple Bacon is ridiculously carbed and it held. So +1 to the guys above.

How did it work out ? I'm minutes away from bottling a tripel and was actually going to go a little higher than 3 vol but then decided to do a quick search.

I have had trouble with 22oz in the past but only the ones reused from commercial beers. If these are homebrew shop bottles I would say all is good. I think some of those from commercial beers are considered "One way glass" and you can tell it with how thin the walls are. Now that I keg I don't fret putting 3 vols but back when I bottled I would put them in totes and seal them up during bottle conditioning. Had a chain reaction explosion that made a mess. Totes are a nice insurance policy.

Back