Caribou Slobber - boozy finish

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rubybrew

Reaction score
I did a one gallon batch of the NB Caribou Slobber. Two weeks in primary and 3 weeks in the bottle and then 48 hours in the fridge.

Since I've never had it before, I found it a bit boozy in the finish. Is that normal. It's not overwhelming or anything, I was just expecting something a bit more on the malty side if that makes sense.

Were my expectations wrong? What's it supposed to taste like?

What temperature did you ferment at? I know i had the same problem with one of my first batches and did not realize my temp was too high.

It was fermenting in the range of 64f to 68f.

Sounds good to me. Maybe a bit more aging? I have personally never had this beer so I cannot offer any other advice. If you decide on dumping it I will PM you with my address and hope for a shipping quote :D

by my rule of thumb it if it fermented between 64 and 68 i usual;ly add on about 4-5 degrees. you may want to age that for a month.... it will clear up.

What yeast strain and what are the temp ranges for that strain?

Remember too that active ferm may raise the wort temp significantly versus the ambient temp.

"Boozy" might be fusel alcohols which can be cause by too high ferm temps.

I think Winsor Ale comes with the NB kit as default. I had the same thing but I added 1lb amber DME late in the boil. I've noticed a mellowing just two weeks between bottles. Give it a few weeks and I think you'll love it if you like the style.

Curtis2010; "Boozy" might be fusel alcohols which can be cause by too high ferm temps.[/QUOTE said:
This was my first impression and an experience I encountered on my first batch. I still have 5 bottles left and have had no luck with aging. I also get headaches even with only a drink of the bottle.

What yeast strain and what are the temp ranges for that strain?

Remember too that active ferm may raise the wort temp significantly versus the ambient temp.

"Boozy" might be fusel alcohols which can be cause by too high ferm temps.

I did have a violent beginning to fermentation. A bit like a volcano it was.

Back