Partial mash

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sum1Stu

Reaction score
I wanted to do an AG, but I don't have a big enough pot. I have a 2gal, and a 4gal.

First question is what to use as a screen ? I have several plastic colanders.

My main concerns is finding a recipe, and tweaking its tastes to a beer of my likings. Ive been to the recipe area of the forums, but I just cant stick to one.

Id like my beer to taste like molson export, or another type of ale thats based on those ingredients. I would like to brew a lager, but I cant ensure a temperature under 70f for the fermentation period.

A "zap-pap" two bucket system, as described in By Charlie Papazian will allow you to make an 3-gallon AG batch (use a 5 gal grass primary). I would also combine this with a grain sparge bag and think about buying a bigger pot. Another approach would be to micro size everything and use your colander but do 1-2 gallon batches. Many on this site would suggest that you invest in welding equipment, turkey fryers, igloo coolers etc. All of these things have some merit.

I cant find that technique.

Its not reccomended that I do several boils to achieve 5gal ?

If you haven't seen this thread yet it may help https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f39/easy-partial-mash-brewing-pics-75231/

A colander with work for small amount of grain but it's a PITA. Grain bags are easier to work with and pretty cheap.

You can achieve a 5 gallon batch in a 4 gallon pot by doing a partial boil.

It's been a long time since I had Molson Export, IIRC it is malty, very dry, light orange/amber in color and about 5.5 ABV.

If you can get a cooler and modify it make a mash tun

Ive actually read that, and thats what makes me want to do a AG!

All im doing is not using any extract, correct ?

all grain means no extract. Partial mash means part of your fermentables come from base malt and the remainder is made up from extract. 2 gallon coolers are easy to convert to a mash tun and will hold 4-5 lbs of grain.

Converting recipes isn't too hard, with a few exceptions. If you have a recipe for molson export, find out how much is base malt (pale malt, etc) and then figure out how much grain you can mash. The difference between the two needs to be made up using extract, though they aren't a 1:1 ratio. That is a rough breakdown of the process.

Hmm so you cant do an AG with the methods shown in the tutorial ? Just using more grain instead of extract ?

Im not to excited about the idea of hot liquids being poured into plastic containers, even if they are food grade. So mayb forget about my AG, and ill stick to a partial mash.

As for recipes, no I dont have a recipe for commercial beers lol, I need help with that.

deathbrewer has a tutorial on how to do all-grain in a similar fashion to his tutorial on easy partial mashing. It might be worth a look for you.

If you aren't comfortable with doing a mash in plastic then you'll just have to find a pot large enough to handle the liquid. Or, i think in the case of the deathbrewer tutorial, two pots so that the liquids are split, but i forget exactly.

I'm not familiar enough with molson export to offer any suggestions, but the recipe database is very good here. Also there is always a google search. If you know what style it is then you might have an easier time finding similar recipes. Or, you can always put out a request for help cloning it in the recipe/ingredients section and see what happens.

Back