where do I get fat???

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FlyingDutchman

Reaction score
Short of liposuction, where can I buy pork fat back? I have asked every grocery store and butcher shop i know of around Houston if they have fat back. Their answers range from a sideways confused look to "We have quarter pound blocks of salt pork. You could buy 8 of those..."

Half the time I have to go into a lengthy explanation about what fatback is and why the heck I would even want it.

I would try ethnic markets, Iv'e had issues finding cut that are not the norm. Other than that the interwebs, you can find any thing if your willing to pay!

If it's not a really large amount, you can simply mix in some of the more fatty cuts of pork in with your deer in the sausage grinder (which is why I'm assuming you need it).

I'd check with some butcher shops that also do deer processing. They usually save their pork trimmings for that purpose.

I have used pork jowls/cheeks in my sausage grind/mix. They work fantastically, and are generally much cheaper than fatback around here at least. 80-20% to 70-30% lean to fat mix is optimal. I usually mix the lean portion at roughly half venison, half pork shoulder to get a nice texture and consistency.

I have used pork jowls/cheeks in my sausage grind/mix. They work fantastically, and are generally much cheaper than fatback around here at least. 80-20% to 70-30% lean to fat mix is optimal. I usually mix the lean portion at roughly half venison, half pork shoulder to get a nice texture and consistency.

Interesting, I had never even thought of that. The Fiesta grocery stores around us carry pork cheeks by the ton!

Well good, I guess that means I can get back to lounging around the bbq pit with a fresh pint of Caribou Slobber collecting the kind of fat I can't seem to get rid of.

Hmmmm....I was wondering what to do with the 20 lbs of pork fat back I have in my deep freezer from the hog my in-laws raised for us....now I think venison sausage sounds pretty good!

I think Hormel sells it vacuum packed. It's unusual but not rare.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

free fat?
I have to buy the stuff

I did 20 pounds of elk sausage this fall, used up all of the elk meat left over from last year. Man it was great.

I have to have the butcher save up fat from trimmings and you have it all there for free

Life is so unfair

Back