Yet another DIY chilled cabinet

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Peeow

Reaction score
Gidday all, I have not long been doing homebrew and at the moment I'm just mucking around with store brought beer kits. I have been brewing spirit for a few years now, but have decided to include beer into it. I have started on my own take on a chilled/heated brew cabinet. as here in New Zealand it can get bloody hot in winter and pretty cold in winter. Therefore I fealt the need to accomodate both. The main cabinet is an old commercial oven that I acquired out of a restaurant. I have got the refrigeration side of it from a dehumidifier I had lying around. I seperated the evaporator and condensor, made the air box etc to surround the evaporator and included the fan inside the unit for frost free circulation. As it is at the moment, it is not completed as I still have to finish insulation, tiding up the wiring etc. But it is functional and I have put a spirit brew through it, it has definately improved the final product!! The brew that is in there at the mo is just a store bought malt kit. I have joined this forum to try and pick up some more helpful info on doing a beer brew from scratch, looks like I've come to the right place! I've put some photos below of the cabinet.

2012-04-12 10.21.33.jpg

2012-04-12 10.21.50.jpg

2012-04-12 10.22.02.jpg

2012-04-12 10.22.33.jpg

2012-04-12 10.23.20.jpg

Gidday all, I have not long been doing homebrew and at the moment I'm just mucking around with store brought beer kits. I have been brewing spirit for a few years now, but have decided to include beer into it. I have started on my own take on a chilled/heated brew cabinet. as here in New Zealand it can get bloody hot in winter and pretty cold in winter. Therefore I fealt the need to accomodate both. The main cabinet is an old commercial oven that I acquired out of a restaurant. I have got the refrigeration side of it from a dehumidifier I had lying around. I seperated the evaporator and condensor, made the air box etc to surround the evaporator and included the fan inside the unit for frost free circulation. As it is at the moment, it is not completed as I still have to finish insulation, tiding up the wiring etc. But it is functional and I have put a spirit brew through it, it has definately improved the final product!! The brew that is in there at the mo is just a store bought malt kit. I have joined this forum to try and pick up some more helpful info on doing a beer brew from scratch, looks like I've come to the right place! I've put some photos below of the cabinet.

Awesome set up man.

Hey dude my wife is is NZ right now in the south island and I want her to pick up some hops. If you are by her could you help her get some hops that I want?

Introducing your wife to a stranger from the internet seems like a great idea! It's for the hops! :cross:

Introducing your wife to a stranger from the internet seems like a great idea! It's for the hops! :cross:

LOL you should meet my wife. She out shoots the cops regular with their guns. Nope not really worried about her but I have to pity the fool who tries to mess with her and she has her gun.

Varmintman said:
LOL you should meet my wife. She out shoots the cops regular with their guns. Nope not really worried about her but I have to pity the fool who tries to mess with her and she has her gun.

As a firearms instructor and gun rights advocate you make me sad. It's irresponsible comments like these that give responsible gun owners a bad rap.

Back to the topic, OP, NICELY done!

awesome cabinet!! Very Jealous man! The old oven was a sweet find, and you made it look great.

FYI; I don't see how him pointing out that his wife out-shoots cops when using their own guns is irresponsible. I take that as meaning she scores higher then they do during tests and with their guns rather than her own. I don't think I misread his comment.

Back