Simple Pickles

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Orfy

For the love of beer!
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
4 c. sugar
4 c. vinegar
1/2 c. salt
1 1/2 tsp. turmeric (I lace mine with saffron)
1 1/2 tsp. celery seed

Mix to make a syrup
In a jar (I reuse and old jam jars) place layers of
3 onions, sliced
Sliced cucumbers and or carrots.
Optional, mustard seeds, chilies, whole peppercorns.

Add the syrup and refrigerate for a week

nice. I have a recipe just like this, chilies are essential if you like spicy food. do you have a recipe for old fashioned pickles (fermented in brine)? Ive tried making lambic style pickles but none of them have come out very good.

can you throw a couple jalapeños in for the spice? Sounds like a good recipe for my garden.

My wife got a pressure canner for her birthday last year, and she makes killer pickles! We got 25 lbs of canning cukes last weekend (a buck a pound...it pays to be friends with people in the restaurant bidness), and half of them she sliced laterally, soaked in lime solution overnight and made into sweet pickles (great for tuna salad, potato salad, etc); the other half she cut into spears and longitudinal slices and used a dill spice mix. I had some over the weekend. So damn good. And they last forever!

4 c. sugar
4 c. vinegar
1/2 c. salt
1 1/2 tsp. turmeric (I lace mine with saffron)
1 1/2 tsp. celery seed

Mix to make a syrup
In a jar (I reuse and old jam jars) place layers of
3 onions, sliced
Sliced cucumbers and or carrots.
Optional, mustard seeds, chilies, whole peppercorns.

Add the syrup and refrigerate for a week

That's my grandma's recipe! :rockin:

Back