Source For Brettanomyces Anomalus?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

thelorax121

Reaction score
So I am just getting into Brett fermentations, and I am looking to split a 5 gal batch and ferment one with Brett. A and the other with Brett. C. The problem is, I can't seem to find a source for any cultures of Brett. A from Wyeast, White Labs or otherwise. Does anyone have an inside source for this strain so I can get my Brett career a-goin'?

Worst case scenario, I have a starter from the dregs of two bottles of Avery 15 that seems to be taking off that I could pitch in place of the Brett A. Again, I am new to Brett, so while it looks like a layer of yeast is forming at the bottom of the flask, I am not sure on the time-line, or the visual clues for an actively fermenting Brett starter, so input on this would be helpful too. Thanks in advance for the input!

The Avery 15 dregs should work fine, just keep in mind brett grows slower than sacc yeast so it will take about a week to get a big enough starter built up to pitch. If you have a warm place (~80*F) for the starter, that will also help.

Big +1 to the temp thing. I've brewed all-brett beers before and Brett C & A in particular really like at least over 70F if possible.

Even when using a 1L starter at 70+F I've had Brett C beers have lag time of 3-4 days before there was noticeable activity in the primary. (Turned out delicious though, btw.)

yet another +1 to higher temps. My Brett C starter and small batch really benefited from temps in the 74-76+ range.
Had raging active fermentation, less than a full 24 hours after pitching, but the airlock smelled pretty fruity (pretty sure now, it was just the sour cherries in the brew, not full out esters), so I pulled it off the heater a bit and it dropped a few points and fermentation activity subsided greatly. Just put it back on and will report back if the activity restarts.

I'll agree on the high temps for Brett C, but the same high temps with Brett A gave me a load of terrible band-aid/phenol character. Brett A isn't produced anymore, Wyeast phased it out about 3 years back. Honestly I like White Labs Brett C better. If you are looking for something similar maybe you could get your hands on the Wyeast Brett C, although its VSS run ended in June.

Just FYI, I sent an email to wyeast about when they will release the Brett. C again, and here was their response:

"The 5151 Brett. c. will be on our PC lineup next quarter (April - June)"

As an aside, the 5.5 gal 1.040 batch that I pitched the starter made from the Avery dregs is still bubbling away about two weeks later. I am keeping the temperature right around 70, and so far the airlock smells wonnderful. Ill post back up with some tasting/gravity readings in a week or two when I transfer to secondary.

In the book Wild Brews, the Jeff Sparrow seems to indicate that Brett C is really just a specific strain of Brett A.

I have read that, and that was part of the reason that I wanted to get my hands on Brett A specifically, so that I could do a split batch and compare the two to see for myself. I guess i'm just not trusting enough :)

A and C are the same in the same biological sense that all ale yeast are Saccharomyces cerevisiae, but there can be huge flavor/brewing differences between different strains of ale yeast (compare an American ale yeast to a Belgian for example).

Latest posts

Back