Egg and beer.........anyone...........anyone?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

B-Dub

Reaction score
I am listening to the BN and the guys in the De Struise pod cast are drinking Stout mixed with sugar and egg.

Anyone else tried this??

I've heard that done with hot beer. Sounds absolutely disgusting to me, but I don't like sweet beverages. Or hot beer.

Doesn't sound like my cup of tea.

But back in the day, my buddies and I would throw back draught beer and pickled eggs all night. People hated us the next day.

Edit: And I googled mulled beer as cactusarrett suggested and some of the articles would suggest that it wouldn't be bad to try once.

Listened to the same episode in April and decided I would give the "Struise Energy Drink" a try with a Mendocino Blackhawk Stout. Followed the directions in the podcast, but I didn't get the mixture completely blended. Drank it, read didn't chug, and thought it was actually a pretty decent mix. The sugar cut some of the roastiness, and the egg added to the mouthfeel. Not touting this as some form of energy drink, but it tasted more natural than a Redbull.

that actually sound pretty tasty. i wonder what kind of beer would work best for mulling. Im thinking a dark?

No expert on the mulled wine or mulled beer, but I would assume that a Belgian Dubbel or Belgian Dark Strong would be great places to start experimentation. Maybe with the right spices something like a RIS would be excellent, I would imagine it is all in the spice quantities though.

From what I understand, in the dark days of Prohibition, egg in your beer was considered a delicacy. ???? I don't know why, but it was supposed to be something to look forward to. I remember a friend about my Dad's age would say when we were whining about something, "What'ya want? Egg in your beer?"

We used to drink beer w/ our scrambled eggs before all of our home b-ball games in college. I don't think this is the same thing though.

Back