cleaning my equipment.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

smitty0341

Reaction score
I have a Mr. Beer kit and am looking for other ways to clean after a brew. I cant find any plain soap at my local grocery store, or walmart. The closet home brew store is a good hour and a half away. I am just trying to avoid paying a shipping fee for cleaning supplies. My brother recommended oxi clean. Any suggestions would be helpful thanks.

Oxy Clean is perfectly fine to use for cleaning and most of the brewers I know use it. Do not confuse cleaning and sanitizing though as they are two different things. First you clean, then you sanitize. Star San is a very popular sanitizer as it requires little contact time, is no rinse and can be used multiple times once mixed.

Thanks for the advice. I just bottled a gallon batch of Caribou Slobber and took my sink sponge with hot soapy water to clean out the barrel. I just used regular dish soap and alot of hot water. I guess that's part of the fun of home brewing is the learning as you go.

Look for PBW at your homebrew store too. It works great. Its similar to oxyclean free. Just be aware that you shouldn't use either on aluminum.

Will using regular dish soap compromise my plastic fermenter any?

No but it's really not the best for cleaning, definitely get a tub of Oxy or PBW and you did not mention anything about sanitizing. Cleaning is great but if you don't sanitize as well you are inviting infection. As mentioned, pick up some Star San.:mug:

I sanitize before I brew and bottle. I am running low on the supply my brother gave me when he gave me my Mr Beer kit. Is there anything at walmart or a grocery store that would do the same? I've only been brewing since august and have 3 batch under my belt. So pardon me for my lack of knowledge, and all my questions. You guys have been very helpful.

smitty0341 said:
I sanitize before I brew and bottle. I am running low on the supply my brother gave me when he gave me my Mr Beer kit. Is there anything at walmart or a grocery store that would do the same? I've only been brewing since august and have 3 batch under my belt. So pardon me for my lack of knowledge, and all my questions. You guys have been very helpful.

No worries and welcome to a great hobby and forum!

Unfortunately Walmart and the like will not have a good no rinse sanitizer. Did you know you can save Star San for repeated use? You can!

Mix up a 5 gallon bucket and use what you need by just putting things in for a dunk and while you're at it, fill up a spray bottle to have in hand to just spray things real well when you need a quick shot.

I do this for gravity samples and things like that as well as your hands.

An average bucket will last me a few weeks easy:)

Back