Will these totes hold 55 lbs of grain each?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have the Tough-totes in that same size and they work fine.

I also use the Ziploc XXL Big Bags to hold the grain internally and keep any creepy crawlies out.

My rule of thumb is that 1 gallon will hold about 3 to 3.5 pounds of grain...so you should be all set

My rule of thumb is that 1 gallon will hold about 3 to 3.5 pounds of grain...so you should be all set

I read here somewhere that it takes 1.5 to 2 Home Depot 5 gallon Homer bucket s to hold a 55 pound bag. Is that not correct?
They seem easy to use, and I like the seal of the rubber gasket.

I read here somewhere that it takes 1.5 to 2 Home Depot 5 gallon Homer bucket s to hold a 55 pound bag. Is that not correct?
They seem easy to use, and I like the seal of the rubber gasket.

I just fit 1x 50lb bag of 2-row into 2x 5g homer buckets with gamma-seal lids. It fit perfectly. I don't know if a 55lb bag would fit exactly in 2 buckets or not. 1x 50lb bag of Vienna also fit into 2x 5g homer buckets with gamma-seal lids.

I also use the HD Homer buckets with the gamma lids for my grain. It's about $9-10 for each bucket/lid set if you go this route.

55 lbs of two row fills two 5 gallon buckets to the brim. I also have 55 lbs bags of Pilsner and Wheat, and I forget which one (I think it's the wheat) takes up more space and doesn't quite fit into two buckets, so I just throw the extra 1/2 lb or so into a large ziplock bag until I use it.

Definitely, if you use those totes, don't just dump the grain in there. There are only two things that can really ruin grain quickly, moisture and bugs, and the tote just by itself doesn't really protect against either one. You really need to store grain in airtight containers.

Good luck!

BeardedIdiot said:
I just fit 1x 50lb bag of 2-row into 2x 5g homer buckets with gamma-seal lids. It fit perfectly. I don't know if a 55lb bag would fit exactly in 2 buckets or not. 1x 50lb bag of Vienna also fit into 2x 5g homer buckets with gamma-seal lids.

Depends on the grain. My Bairds Crystal medium 25 kilo sack fit in two homers, but my Thomas Fawcett MO and Chocolate had overflow into some zip bags. The TF grains just took up more volume.

Back