First major fail! Advice needed (cooling wort before boil)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Richardwhittaker

Reaction score
First major fail!
I am doing a BIAB and when I was draining the bag I noticed that I has a lot of grain in the wort!

It looks like the bag snagged on something as there is a inch sized hole at the bottom of the bag. Most likely the thermometer probe It looks like I may have to drain the keggle and filter the wort through something. I may snag one of SWMBO's nylons and tie it over the drain.

Should I cool the wort first to avoid "hot aeration" ?

No, no need to cool! I've had stuck mashes (and sparges) before, and while it's a PITA, it's fixable. I think HSA is the "boogeyman" of brewing anyway. I've seen pro breweries pour hot mashes into the lauter tun, and they aren't even worried about HSA. I've never heard of one person that actually experienced HSA.

THank you for all your help with this Yooper.

I don't seem to have to much grain in the wort there is a nice 1/8 in layer of husks floating at the top and there feels like there my be about a layer of grain about 1/2 inch thick on the bottom. Should I worry about filtering it now?

If I understand correctly the reason you don't want to boil grains is tannin extraction from the husks. as the husks float I can scoop them off the top. The rest may end up making the beer a little cloudy but as it is a stout that is not that big a deal. Any other reason to go through the trouble of filtering it before the boil?

Richard

If there is 1/2 thick grainbed on the bottom, I'd try my best to get them out.

A few husks won't hurt, and a little grain won't matter. But 1/2 inch think grainbed isn't good. I'd be concerned about it burning, for example. Can you use a kitchen spaghetti strainer and pull most of it out?

Or, grab a big bucket fermenter and clean it well, and dump the wort into there. The lighter wort should pour off pretty easily, and the grain should be in the bottom. Then, you can get the grain out of there and pour the wort back into your keggle.

Well, if everything went perfectly it wouldn't be such a great learning experience!

I'm sure you know this, but after you use the fermenters for the wort, clean the fermenters very very well and sanitize like your life depended on it. Unboiled wort (and grain) are loaded with lactobacillus and other bacteria that will ruin your beer.

And a learning experience it is.
It seems that the hole in the bag was caused by the element. I guess when I tested the fabric yesterday I just did not hold it long enough. Next time I'll make some sort of cover for the element (wire cake rack or something.) I also think I will stir the mash a few times even if it looks like the temp has not changed.

Back