Dark mead clearing question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DashCooper

Reaction score
With dark meads, how do you know if its done clearing? I have a blueberry mead that is so dark I can't shine a dive flashlight through it. How with I know when its done clearing?

If your brew is that heavily pigmented, then you'd have to rely on looking at the bottom of the fermenter.

There's usually a change in colour where the sediment starts.

It may be worth hitting it with 2 part finings, as then you'd only have to rack the once. Then when you're confident the finings have finished dropping the sediment you should be ok to rack it off for bottling or other processing......

pulling out a hydrometer sample should also give you a better idea of whether it's clear, although if it's only partially cleared, the sample from the top may look different that what you'd siphon from the lower levels of the carboy. How long has this mead been sitting for at this point anyway?

I agree with biochemedic. With the darker meads, it is really hard to see what's going on in bulk, pour a bit of hydrometer sample into a glass to get a better idea of where it is at. But only if it has been a decent amount of time since you began.

oh, this mead hasnt been sitting NEARLY long enough.. i just wondered what the process was for clearing darker meads. It makes sense to check it during a hydro check.

It's been pretty amazing so far; this mead is two months old- just now racked a third time. Its darkened considerably without any finings.
Now, at the very top of the carboy with a REALLY bright flashlight, I'm starting to see a nice ruby glow..

Thanks for the feedback!

Back