Chiller causing high FG????

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

edecambra

Reaction score
Hello everyone,

I recently built a styrofoam fermentation chiller, similar to those found all over the internet. I have fermented three brews in it and all have finished with a really high final grav reading, at 1.020.

I used three different yeast strains, harvested starter of us-05, one harvested starter of wyeast 3068, and one dry yeast rehydrated of fermentis t-58. All three have finished at 1.020, after starting between 1.050-60. I haven't changed anything else with my process since then. I set the temp at 66-68 degrees.

Has anyone else encountered this issue? Or may it be something I am over looking.

Is it possible that the ambient temp inside the chamber got colder at night or something?

Not at all,

My house is usually 79-80 degreese (south florida is pretty hot still)

If anything it warmed up!

It wouldn't make sense for it to be a temperature thing, but could it be anything related to the chemicals or fumes from the adhesives??

I am quite confused here since the clear change seems to lie with this chiller, as far as timing goes.

if you have an airlock on it then there is no chance for the fumes/chemicals to get into the beer.

have you tried other methods for unsticking the fermentation?

What water do you use? Maybe something changed with the city water? Are you doing extract or all grain? If all grain, could the thermometer you use be out of whack? High mash temp could be the problem.

They are all extract batches, some partial boil's and some full boils.

I use filtered water ( charcoal filter) I have also added yeast nutrient to my starters.

Three stuck ferms in a row is kinda bizarre right? For the first one I tried mixing up a starter and pitching all that healthy yeast, but no change in the gravity.

Back