Atlantic Gyre British IPA

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

igliashon

Reaction score
Had this recipe stewing in my head for a while, finally gonna brew it up this Thursday.

3 gallon batch

Grains:
2 lbs homemade quinoa crystal malt
1 lb sweet potato, pureed
2 lbs rice syrup solids
2 lbs sorghum LME at flame-out
2 oz maltodextrin

Hops:
1 oz Phoenix (8% AA) at 60 min
0.5 oz US Goldings (4.2% AA) at 15 min
0.5 oz US Goldings at 5 min
1 oz US Goldings dry-hop for 7 days

Nottingham Dry Yeast

Boil additions:
1 tsp gypsum at flame-on
1/2 tablet whirlfloc at 15 min

Instructions: step-mash sweet potato and crystal malt, 30 min at 90, 30 min at 120, and 60 min at 150°F, then sparge to make up 3.5 gallons for the boil. Recommend rice hulls. I do it BIAB-style.

Target OG: 1.061
Target FG: 1.015
Target ABV: 6.1%
Target IBU: 66.1 (a little on the high side for a British IPA)

I'm hoping the quinoa adds a biscuity note to the malt, it smells and looks like Grapenuts right now and did definitely convert a bit when I made it into crystal, as it's quite sweet. The toasting took away the slight sour note it had.

This one is meant to be a companion to my Pacific Gyre IPA, which is an aggressive American-style IPA.

Well, cracked into this a week or two ago...my first oxidized beer! :drunk: It's actually pretty good, despite the mild papery flavor of oxidation. The quinoa did basically what I expected it to, adding a nice roundness to it, and there do seem to be some buttery and fruity notes appropriate to the British style. It's not great, but it's an easy drinker. I wish I could say I got more out of the hops, but they just seem lacking.

Back