Lemon Rind in Secondary

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

2drunkmonks

Reaction score
I want to add some lemon rind in with my dry hops in a brew I made last weekend. Is it ok to just add it without sanitizing it? Same goes for dry hopping right? I can just throw the hop leaf into the secondary fermenter before I rack into it right?

Thanks for any advice..

2drunkmonks

:mug:

Hops are naturally antimicrobial, so infections with dry hopping are exceedingly rare. I'm not sure about lemon rinds though. What I do is use starsan on the outside of the lemon and the grater, then shave off the rind. You can also soak the rind in a small amount of vodka and then dump the whole thing in.

Hops are naturally antimicrobial, so infections with dry hopping are exceedingly rare. I'm not sure about lemon rinds though. What I do is use starsan on the outside of the lemon and the grater, then shave off the rind. You can also soak the rind in a small amount of vodka and then dump the whole thing in.

+1 to this^^

Great thanks,

Have you tried both methods? Do you prefer one over the other? I think I will try sanitizing the micro-plane and the lemon and toss that in with the hops. How much do you add? I want it to subtle. The northern brewer hops that I am dry hopping with have a lemon like flavor also.

Great thanks,

Have you tried both methods? Do you prefer one over the other? I think I will try sanitizing the micro-plane and the lemon and toss that in with the hops. How much do you add? I want it to subtle. The northern brewer hops that I am dry hopping with have a lemon like flavor also.

I've done it once. I used the zest from 2 "medium" sized lemons, with the starsan sanitation technique. My OG was 1.051, and I dry hopped for 5 days.

The lemon flavor was very subtle. If I didn't know it had lemon zest in it, I probably wouldn't be able to pick out the flavor, though I think it added something.

Latest posts

Back