What equipment will i need for my first all-grain 5 Gallon batch?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

taulpaul619

Reaction score
I am an avid DME brewer, but now I want to move to the other side. What equipment will I need to start my new journey to all-grain brewing?

Sorry about that. I have

6gallon pot(plain pot)
6gallon glass fermentation carboy.
And an outside burner.
All the other stuff I have is miscellaneous kettle cooking tools.

- Bigger pot- at least 8 gal but 10 is better
-A mash tun (converted cooler is a good place to start) - BIAB is an alternative I'm sure some others will mention.
-A wort chiller
- Accurate thermometer for measuring mash temp

Another nice to have is a refractometer

Hydrometer, thermometer, and + to the larger pot. BIAB can get you started with only the minimum equipment you can even get by with current pot you would have to add water at the end to top off to get full volume.

get a grain bag and do partial mashes. you can mash 5+lbs of grain in a 6 gallon pot. i am currently doing 8 in a 7.5 gallon and i have gone as high as 11.

partial mash is really where its at imo. you don't need much equipment. all the benefits of AG (basically at least), but less hassle. biab with 10+ lbs is a pita.

to answer your question though, don't need a bigger pot if you don't mind adding your sparge water half way through the boil. a mash tun, and another pot that you can heat sparge water in, or something else to catch your runnings while you heat your sparg water in the BK.

The minimum you will need is a mash tun. There is a thread on here about converting a cooler. Take the parts list with you to Home Depot and get everything needed to assemble (it's not much).

Slap your mash tun together and you're ready for your first all grain brew day.

Latest posts

Back