Funky DIY Tap Handles

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tony3696

Reaction score
Half the fun of owning a kegerator is customizing it to make it your own. One of the easiest things to do is change your tap handles to match your brews. That being said - They are also not cheap, so I decided to make my own. With DIY you not only get the satisfaction of admiring your work every time you pour a pint, but you also get 100% control over what you make. Enough babbling, on to the build.

Tools required:
Propane Torch
Drill & Bits
Vise (not necessary, but it sure helps)
3/8" Threaded Insert (from Lowes/Home Depot/Interweb)
1/4" Metal Rod
1" Wooden Dowel
3/4" Black Iron Pipe (used as a mandrel)
2 Pints Homebrew (Required!)
Rusty Tailgate (optional)

First cut a length of 1/4" metal rod longer then what you think you need, I didn't measure, just eyeballed it. Put about 1" in a vise, heat it up, and make a 90 degree bend in one end. Take the small bent end and wedge it in the end of the pipe with a piece if scrap wood. Heat the bend back up and slowly bend it down and around the pipe keeping it as tight as you can. Keep the heat in the metal bar and start wrapping it around the pipe, keep the heat close to the pipe or your spiral will get all out-of-wack. On your final wrap, cut the metal rod while it is still straight (about 1/2" from the pipe), then heat up the end and bend it to the pipe. I used channel lock pliers for this, but you could use a hammer or whatever you have. After it cools off, it will need some "persuading" to get it off the pipe. I pulled it off with pliers and it left some tool marks, I buffed them off with a dremel. Next time I will wrap a rag around for protection. Next slide your dowel rod into the spring thing and mark your hole. Drill the hole just a bit larger than your rod. Fitting it might take a few tries because the bent shaft is probably not going to me exactly straight. Now with the dowel and spring thing fitted, mark your dowel to length. Pull them apart, cut the dowel, & drink a beer. On the opposite end from the one you just drilled, drill another hole for your 3/8" threaded wood insert and screw it in. Finish them how ever you like and put them on your kegerator! Drink another brew while the paint dries and give yourself a pat on the back. :mug:

P3070008.jpg

P3070009.jpg

P3070011.jpg

P3070012.jpg

P3070014.jpg

Back