Double IPA Furry Pengiun Double IPA

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

scottland

Reaction score
Recipe Type
All Grain
Yeast
WLP007
Yeast Starter
Yes - 3QT
Batch Size (Gallons)
Original Gravity
Final Gravity
Boiling Time (Minutes)
IBU
?!?!?
Color
Primary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
14 days @ 62F
Secondary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
9 days @ 72F
Tasting Notes
Dank citrus hop bomb.
ABV: 8.0%

Recipe is calculated for 6 gallons due to wort loss from the hops (72% eff)

13.5lbs 2-row
8oz Victory
8oz Crystal 40L
1lb Dextrose
Mash @ 148-149* F

3.25oz Warrior(17.1%) @ 90
1oz Citra @ 30
2oz Simcoe/Centennial @ 15 (1oz each)
4oz Simcoe/Citra/Amarillo @ 0 (2oz Simcoe, 1oz ea Citra/Amarillo)

WLP007 - Dry English Ale yeast. Love this yeast for IPAs. Only use this if you can ferment it cool (62-64*) otherwise use WLP001/1056/US05. The 007 ferments clean, fast, and drops super clear, super quick, which you want in an IPA.

Dry Hops:
Rack to secondary then:
4oz Amarillo/Citra/Centennial/CTZ (1oz each) for 5 days
3oz Amarillo/Citra/Simcoe (1oz each) Added day 5 for 4 more days
Rack to bottling bucket/keg on day 9 in the secondary.

The recipe for this beer started off as something close to Pliny, and evolved into the recipe above. I love using Amarillo, Simcoe, and Citra together, especially for dry hopping. The big goal with this beer is attenuation. Mash low, remember the dextrose in the boil, and ramp the temperature up during the last few days of the ferment to make sure it attenuates. 1.010 is where it finishes for me, but anything from 1.008 to 1.012 would be great.

Try to keep as much yeast out of the secondary as possible. WLP007 is awesome for this because it drops out like peanut butter. If you use California Ale yeast, consider cold crashing the primary before racking to secondary to drop the yeast.

I use 3.25oz Warrior that is 17.1% AA. That's the only hop addition I would bother scaling based on your AA %. Don't worry about the others. Also, don't bother calculating the IBUs, you'll get 200+. In reality it's probably around 90-95 IBU. I also steep my flameout hops hot for 10min before I chill. Kill the flame, stir in the hops, put a lid on it, and wait 10 before you chill.

That's about it. It's a super hoppy, resiny, citrusy, and a little tropical fruit-like DIPA. Super dry, but somehow balanced (I feel like all the hop oils help with this.)

DSC_4015.jpg

Picture as promised. That's after 11 days in the keg. It should clear up a little more, but not much.

This beer brewed with US-05 just scored a 43 in a BJCP comp! I'm pretty excited about that.

I'm gonna try it. Something about citra I love... That and my girl loves penguins... So it's fate.

That is a really great looking beer. What awesome clarity, and an amazing color. I've been looking for something to try for my first AG and I think this may be it.

I brewed a slightly tweaked version of this for my daughters wedding party last fall. (15 lbs of 2 row plus specialty grains, 2oz each of Simcoe, Amarillo, Centennial and 1oz Citra)
It was spectacular, the guests loved it! I have only been brewing for about two years but this was by far the best beer that I've done. I just wanted to thank you for sharing the recipe and your experience here on HBT. The world is a better place because of it!

Back