My $7 DIY Mash Paddle

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sirmichael

Reaction score
This was my first DIY brewing project and it turned out better than I expected. The wood is a piece of oak and was originally 36" x 5 1/2". It was $7 at Home Depot. I went with a circle design and measured four times so I only had to cut once. Not bad for a few hours of work (mostly sanding)

image-1066875589.jpg

image-2159291850.jpg

Very nice, I was thinking the same way, are you, or can you stain the oak? If you can what kind?

Everything I've read says to not stain your mash paddle. Either use mineral oil, butchers block oil or leave it naked. I'm leaving mine naked.

Everything I've read says to not stain your mash paddle. Either use mineral oil, butchers block oil or leave it naked. I'm leaving mine naked.

What did you do to condition the paddle? I just made one and stuck it in hot water last night and the water turned a shade of green. Eck! I suppose I just need to boil it for a while to get any wood gunk out, but just wondering if you noticed anything like this/did anything to prep it for use.

Back