Porter

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cb76

Reaction score
Brewed a batch of porter from a True Brew kit yesterday. I added some other hops from a recipe that I found and when it is ready to bottle I am gonna add some coffee and make a coffee Porter. It should be ready to bottle next Sat or Sun. My first batch from an extract kit. Will let you know how it goes.

Very cool. I'm about to brew my first coffee porter tomorrow, although I created my own recipe. I'm also throwing some cocoa powder in. Maybe we can compare notes.

How much coffee, and how are you thinking of adding it? 5 gallon batch?

I think that I am gonna add about 3/4 pot of coffee to the wort just before I bottle it. It shouldn't add any bitter taste, just the coffee taste. It will be going into a 5 gal batch. Will let you know.

Just tried one of the porters that I brewed from a True Brew kit with a few additions. It came out with a nice head like you would expect from a good porter and had a great taste. I left out the coffee and added some Willamette hops to the recipie and I am impressed with the results. It has been in the bottle for a little longer that two weeks and can't wait to try a bottle after about two months. Will have to remember this and try it later this year.

I snagged this off the porter recipe forum:
7.0 lbs LME
1.0 lb Munich Malt
0.5 lb 80 Crystal Malt
0.5 lb Chocolate Malt
0.5 lb Black Patent Malt

1oz Centennial (60min)
1oz Golding (5min)

Nottingham yeast

I added some "coffee extract" by steeping 1/2 cup coffee grounds in water in the fridge for a week, then filtered.

I added it right before I pitched my yeast. In the fermentation carboy now, should bottle next weekend. Will let you know know how it turns out.

Back