Force carbing a 2.5 gallon keg?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

duffstuff

Reaction score
I , I have searched and searched but found no solid answer.
Do psi levels change with a smaller keg?. I am afraid to go ahead with the shake method just in case I should go easy because it's a smaller keg.

Thanks for any feedback . Sorry If it's a stupid question , this will be my first time kegging and hoping for success .
Cheers

Shake method is risky of over carbonation no matter what the keg size. Patience is best by setting it to 10-12 PSI for a week or two. The smaller keg will most likely be on the quicker end of that scale.

Shaking is too risky for me too, but this is an interesting question.

Using the set and forget method, there are three things that control carbonation; surface area, temperature and pressure.

So, given that all these things are equal, I would think that half the volume would carbonate in half the time?

Ok thanks . I'm happy to set and forget too. Most videos show the shake so I thought it was the best method . I'm happy to take no risks .
Am I right in saying you can't over carbonate setting to serving pressure . ?
If so how do you reach a desired psi. Like the charts show for different beers styles ? Again sorry if this is stupid question .

I would think you want to still set the psi to the same level as you would in a larger keg. The pressure wouldn't increase or decease because of the size, I think the only difference you can expect is that it will carbonate faster because the volume of liquid is smaller.

Ok thanks . I'm happy to set and forget too. Most videos show the shake so I thought it was the best method . I'm happy to take no risks .
Am I right in saying you can't over carbonate setting to serving pressure . ?
If so how do you reach a desired psi. Like the charts show for different beers styles ? Again sorry if this is stupid question .

Well following a chart like you see here: http://www.kegerators.com/carbonation-table.php, its based on temperature and psi. You want to say within the color range of whatever you brewed. So, if you have an ale and your fridge is at 40 degrees, then you want the pressure to be between 9 and 13 psi. I usually brew ales and the mini fridge I keep the keg in doesn't have the best temp gauge, so its around 39 degrees and I keep the pressure around 10-12 psi.

Latest posts

Back