Is it bad to move fermenting beer?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wadwrich

Reaction score
My beer has been fermenting for about 10 or 11 days now. A situation arose this morning where I had to move my fermentor. I did it as gently as possible, but it still obviously moved the liquid around some. Is this bad? Could it cause any ill effects?

Iv never had any issues, I swish mine around about seven days into fermentation just to stir up the yeast alittle cause it will start settling at the bottom. Thats what i do and have never has an issue. Are you going to bottle or keg?

No issues, just keep in mind that if the beer was almost clear and ready to bottle you might have to give it a few more days to drop bright again.

You are good.

i often move mine to different parts of the house depending on the temp when my fermentation chamber is full.

Remember that it used to be the practice at some commercial breweries to roll the barrels around the block to rouse the yeast. You'll likely get some release of CO2 from solution, so be prepared for that. And as so many have said, you'll raise sediment and will need to wait a while for it to clear.

Beer is not that delicate.

Back