Making Flavor Extracts

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Timaithis

Reaction score
I was wondering about making my own flavor extracts for chocolate, vanilla, various fruits and what not. As I understand it all extracts are is the aromatic compounds dissolved into a high purity alcohol such as vodka. Is this right and then if so how much vodka do I need to add to get a good extract and how long do I need to soak the solids in it? I would also think that having a sealed container with as much of the oxygen out of it would be best.

Is my thinking on this sound? If you have done this could you tell me how you did it.

I know I could go out and buy the stuff but I have all the stuff anyway and it allows me to have a more complete experience in making everything that goes into my beer.

Thanks in advance for all the help.

Portions are all subjective to how much flavor you want in the extract. I take a pint mason jar and will fill it with split and scraped vanilla beans (about 6-8) and top off with vodka and let sit at least 6 weeks if not longer. For coffee extract I will take good coffee grounds and add about hald a cup and add the vodka, this only needs to sit overnight and you can get a good 2-3 extractions from the same grounds. As for chocolate and other flavors I would follow the same techniques. If it comes out a little light just add more or let it sit a little longer. When I'm done extracting I use an old gold coffee filter to separate the solids. And while they are steeping I give it a good shake every now and again.

Thanks rob, I ended up making chocolate extract before I read your reply by adding 2oz of dark chocolate with 70% cocoa to 10oz of vodka. I wanted to make a vanilla extract so I am really happy to know that I will need to age it that long. I ended up using the coffee filter as well I just wish that I had let it sit for longer.

I am making a hazelnut extract with vodka. I'll let you all know how it turns out in a few weeks. Roast the nuts, remove skins as much as possible, grind or chop nuts and add to mason jar with vodka level about an inch above the level of the nuts.

I make lime and lemon extracts by zesting 2 or 3, then adding vodka to cover in a closed container. After a couple of weeks, I filter it through a coffee filter.

Just tapped a Lime Wheat made with my extract.

:mug:

I did a pretty detailed write up for my blog on making extracts. The blog is linked in my sig if you want to check it out. I would post the link but I'm posting from my phone.

I've been using fresh cranberries for my Cranmoor (Cranberry Ale) and its turned out fine, but it really messes with my OG/FG due to the unfermentable sugars I suspect. I never know how to get a good read off it. So I was thinking of instead of added 3# of fresh cranberries to the fermenter, but making extract. What I saw was...

1/4 cup crushed fruit
1 cup vodka
Add together in sealed glass jar
Let sit for 3-6 weeks, swirl occassionally
Filter out fruit

...and I assume you'll have approx. 8 oz. of fruit extract, which I would add to the bottling bucket before I siphon the wort.

I may give this a try.

For vanilla I would use bourbon, not vodka. Bourbon already has a lot of vanilla flavor notes, so you get more bang for your buck than with vodka.

I take a pint mason jar and will fill it with split and scraped vanilla beans (about 6-8) and top off with vodka and let sit at least 6 weeks if not longer.

I tried this with a bottle of vodka and vanilla beans. After 6 months, the vodka still hadn't picked up any vanilla taste at all.

I tried this with a bottle of vodka and vanilla beans. After 6 months, the vodka still hadn't picked up any vanilla taste at all.

That's odd. If you scraped the seeds out and let it soak just a few days it's impacted the vodka substantially. Leaving it longer gives it full extraction and greater depth. I've used this technique many times over the years with great success. Sorry to hear it didn't work for you.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

i want to experiment with vodka and whole roasted coffee beans. i can't find the thread, where someone claims whole beans is the cleanest and longest lasting flavor, without the tannin you may get from grounds.

anyone else done this (my forum search was unsuccessful) ?

Back