Adding priming sugar

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GTaylor

Reaction score
Does it make a difference when the sugar mix is put in the bottling bucket? I just bottled my first batch and added the mix after the beer had been put in the bucket, wanted to make sure that it would still work fine.

Thanks
Greg

That will work fine. I'm in the camp of people who add it prior to racking the beer. I do this because I feel that when the beer is transferred, it allows for better mixing of the solution into the beer.

Regardless, either way will work.

Thanks, figured that it would work either way and just wanted to make sure.

i have had trouble with getting my sugar to mix evenly even when adding the sugar solution first and racking onto it. some bottles were overcarbonated and other were too flat.

if you have this problem is suggest you add half the sugar mixture, rack half the beer onto it, add the other half of the sugar mixture, rack the rest of the beer.

I always put my priming sugar in first, and lay the rackingline in the bottom of the bucket to facilitate it " swirling" as it fill. Brownian Motion will take care of the rest. Just as a final precaution, I take a sanitized stainless spoon and ever so softly stir it. If you make waves, your doing too much. I simply follow the already swirling motion and reinforce it .

One thing I think many brewers do is rush through the transfer from fermentor / secondary vessle to bottling bucket. When I rack over a beer, I let it set for an HOUR in the bottling bucket - giving the priming solution plenty of time to get evenly dissipated.

Not saying that is the right way; not saying others ways is the wrong way . But I will say it works for me without fail, and bottle carb appears even through out the batches.

Back