Dont understand the mash steps please simplify

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Mash Schedule: Single Infusion, Light Body, Batch Sparge

Total Grain Weight: 11.38 lb

----------------------------

Single Infusion, Light Body, Batch Sparge

Step Time Name Description Step Temp

75 min Mash In Add 14.20 qt of water at 162.5 F 151.0 F

Notes:

The lactose was added with 10 minutes left in the boil.

All this means is that it was a single step mash @ 151 degrees for 75 minutes, and that they batch sparge. They also put in the water amounts and temps for their equipment so that the strike water hit the correct mash temp when the grains were added; you may have to tweak that based on your equipment.

75 min Mash In Add 14.20 qt of water at 162.5 F 151.0 F

Way I am reading it is 14 qt of 162 degree water for a 151 degree mash.

It all depends on your setup though. I know with a 11 pound grain bill I would need to be about 13 degrees over the mash temp with my strike water. I would heat your strike water to 162 and also heat a qt or so of water to boiling just in case you need to bring the temp up a little.

So I can just mash @ 151 and Sparge @ 170 like usual? That will work?

I think you are right.

Basically 14.2 quarts of water (roughly 3.5 gallons) of water heated to 162.5 degrees added to 11.38 lbs of grain will combine (in theory) to a temperature of 151 degrees.
Keep it at that temperature for 75 minutes

Then sparge with (whatever temp water the recipe called for, I forget cuz I cant see it right now)
and then stop when you get to whatever your pre-boil volume is supposed to be.

Back