Help with my brewing water profile for a Bavarian Weizen

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BeerBrent

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Hi,
I want to brew jamils Bavarian Weizen: http://beerdujour.com/Recipes/Jamil/JS_Bavarian_Weizen.html

I have access to two different types of water: I sent both types into WARD labs and here are the results.

My filtered (filter from morebeer.com) tap water profile looks like this:
pH 8.6
TDS 490
sodium 97
potassium 3
calcium 44
magnesium 20
total hardness, CaCO3 193
Nitrate <0.1
Sulfate 38
Chloride 99
Carbonate 12
Bicarbonate 152
Total Alkalinity 145
Fluoride 0.89
Total Iron <0.01

Now, I also have free access to Sparkletts Purified Water
Their profile looks like this:
pH 7.4
TDS 47
Sodium 8
Potassium < 1
Calcium < 1
Magnesium < 1
Total Hardness CaCO3 < 1
Nitrate 0.1
Sulfate 2
Chloride < 1
Carbonate < 1
Bicarbonate 12
Total Alkalinity 10
Fluoride 0.09
Total Iron < 0.01
"<" -not detected/below detection

My process: I fly sparge and brew for 5 gallons. i shoot for 75% - 80% efficiency.

I'm new to fussing with my water profile so help with this one would be of great assistance.
thanks in advance.

Have you listened to the "Waterganza" episodes of the brewstrong show on the brewing network? If not, I would start there.

I downloaded Palmers water Nomograph from here http://howtobrew.com/section3/chapter15.html

He explains how to use it also on the shows.

I just filled it out quickly and found that if you brought your Ca up to 175 and left Mg and CaCO3 alone you would be ok for your mash Ph with a target SRM of 9 with your tap water.

Not sure if you would want to address your Cl to SO4 ratio for a Weizen, as I have never brewed one.

You're filtered tap water has a Total Dissolved Solids of 490?? I'd be curious to see what unfiltered levels are. US EPA maximum TDS is 500 mg/L.

Granted these are National Secondary Drinking Water Regulations which are nonenforceable... rather just guidelines. But still... thats pretty high.

Back